Cambridge audio Azur C540 CD mod.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this CD player for free from a friend, it's lacking it's torroid transformer. I was thinking of using the transformer from a NAD C515BEE - Could this work? I don't have any specifications on the Cambridge transformer so I don't know myself. When that problem is fixed, this baby is up for some modding, so post me some ideas on what to do with it :p

I got this CD player for free from a friend, it's lacking it's torroid transformer. I was thinking of using the transformer from a NAD C515BEE(This unit has a broken laser pickup) - Could this work? I don't have any specifications on the Cambridge transformer so I don't know myself. When that problem is fixed, this baby is up for some modding, so post me some ideas on what to do with it :p
Could I take the main board and powerboard + transformer from the nad and remove the cambridge mainboard, and powerboard. So basicly, use the wolfson DAC's and the laser assembly in the Cambridge, and connect these to NAD components from the other cd player?

hi there, just recently modded tweaks the big brother 640C. Found out the hard way that this player is very choosy in components. Not all boutique parts will give better sound compared to original ones

here is my list of the ones that works for me on the 640C, and tranny is not changed though :) might works for you

mains filter cap to vishay,
on servo board : 2 big litycs to Panasonic FC 2200uF each, some Oscon's but not all, diodes to telefunken SF4007
on DAC board : some oscon's also not all, SF4007 is not good here, opamp (of course :)) to YD2200, some R's around opamp to Rikens and C coupling out to Nichicon 4.7uF paper in oil

good luck
TeguhPS

hi there, just recently modded tweaks the big brother 640C. Found out the hard way that this player is very choosy in components. Not all boutique parts will give better sound compared to original ones

here is my list of the ones that works for me on the 640C, and tranny is not changed though :) might works for you

mains filter cap to vishay,
on servo board : 2 big litycs to Panasonic FC 2200uF each, some Oscon's but not all, diodes to telefunken SF4007
on DAC board : some oscon's also not all, SF4007 is not good here, opamp (of course :)) to YD2200, some R's around opamp to Rikens and C coupling out to Nichicon 4.7uF paper in oil

good luck
TeguhPS

Could you check it for it's transformer rating? :p I'll keep that in mind when I order parts.

if you can find out the type of voltage regulators used in the power section it should be doable to deduct the transformer voltages, the current req can be guessed....and more current capability in a tranny is ususally better ;-)

Alternatively try contacting Cambridge Audio for the transformer specs, that should be no secret.

nice to hear that mortality! I've browsed the SM again and I saw EI tranny under the round cover cap ???..I've thought the transformer is toroid one :).

I would like to try R core transformer someday on CDP, did tried low voltage one from here for my hybrid headphone amp, gone are hum & noises

goodluck
TeguhPS

m0rt4lIty

This torroidal transformer has a lot of secondary windings. A friend of mine had a 540R V2 with a burned out main tranformer. Was quoted about €60 for a replacement by Richer Sounds, Cambridge Audio main dealer here in UK. I did make a note of the markings on the transformer, but I cannot find them at the moment. I will try to look for them.

Vambo

Old thread - just posting my Azur 540D DVDP mods for reference here. There are 3 sets of mods that I performed:

1. SMPS/PSU mods: Nothing exciting, just replaced all electrolytics on the secondary side with a combination of non-aqueous professional grade Japanese electrolytics like Panasonic FC, Nippon Chemicon LXZ, Nichicon PW and Sanyo Oscon. All values are retained the same as the original *except* 2x 1000uF/10V on the +CPU3.3V rail, replaced with 2x1200uF/6.3V. One small cap (47uF/50V) on the primary side is also replaced with FC.

2. Digital/Processor board mods: Lots of small caps could potentially be replaced with better ones, but I confined my upgrades to the analog signal path for the front L & R audio channels.

a) U219 RC4558 SOIC8 opamp replaced with LM6172IM (AD8022 is another good candidate).
b) TC225, TC226, TC236, TC240, TC241 (10uF/16V electrolytics) replaced with Sanyo Oscon 22uF/16V (4 of these are in the signal path, so other alternatives like Elna Silmic II or Black Gate PK could be considered).

3. Analog/Line output board mods: Replaced almost everything on the front left and right channel line amplifier.

a) C22, C23 (4.7uF/50V non-polar) and C54, C55 (10nF/100V Evox PFR) replaced with 2x Panasonic ECQ-E 4.7uF/50V.
b) R31, R33 (100k/1% MFR) replaced with 2x 100k/5% Panasonic ERD-S1 CFR (not critical).
c) R34, R35, R45, R46, R47, R48, R49, R50 (27k/1% MFR) replaced with 8x 26.1k/1% PRP GP1/4 MFR.
d) C26, C27, C44, C49 10pF disc ceramic replaced with 4x 15pF/2% Philips 2222 P100 plate-type ceramic.
e) U4 NE5532 DIP8 opamp replaced with DIP8 socket and AD8022 opamp in soic8->DIP8 adapter board.
f) Rail-to-ground bypass caps (2x 47nF polyester) near U4 replaced with 2x 47nF Wima MKP4
g) C37, C38 (470uF/16V rail filter caps) replaced by 2x 470uF/16V panasonic Pureism PXL.

The same mods could in principle also be performed for the centre, rear, and sub channels on both the digital/processor board, and the analog line amp board - I omitted them for the moment. Pics below show the front L&R audio mods to the digital and analog boards.

Attachments

• azur540d_lm6172_12x9.jpg
    azur540d_lm6172_12x9.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 235
  • azur540d_ad8022_12x9.jpg
    azur540d_ad8022_12x9.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 247
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.