Phillps CD-840, multi voltage tranformer needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some equipment that made it's way Stateside when I moved from London, England to NJ, USA. It consisted of :

Rega Planar 2 turntable
NAD 3240 amplifier
Philips CD840 CD player
Aiwa AD-F640 cassette deck
Denon TU-380RD tuner

The Rega, Aiwa and NAD I have already taken care of. I would like to convert the Philips (and Denon) over to run on 110v.

I recently downloaded a service manual for the Philips CD player. According to this, the power transformer should have multiple primary taps to select different voltages. However, when I powered the player up using 240v, there was no voltage present on the other terminals soldered into the PCB, so I must assume it only has a single voltage primary transformer installed.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What I need is either the transformer from a US spec model, or one from a European model that is multi-tapped. I believe they were sold under the Magnavox brand over here, but I've only ever seen one other.

The Denon tuner, who knows? I don't think it was sold outside of Europe, mine says "made in Germany" on the carton.

Yes, I know I could use a step-up transformer, indeed I've seen several suitable types looking through my Allied Electronics catalogue. It's just I'd rather get an original transformer if I can. I've tried contacting Philips both in Europe and the US, but to no avail.

Lee.

For 240V the coils are series connected, for 120V are parallel connected.

Well, they would be if it was a dual primary tranformer, look at the schematic, it shows a multi-tapped one. Mine doesn't even have this, just two connections (three if you count the thermal fuse).

I don't know how did you "measure" the other terminals

With a voltmeter. The service manual shows clearly what pins are for the primary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.