Studer A730

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I managed to pick up a working Studer A730 very cheap and am intrigued as too what I can do to possibly improve it's performance and I have a few queries regarding it's running, hence why I Googled it and wound up here as a newbie:)
Firstly, as I said it is working great but has one or two possible glitches, the Fader Play light is continuously on, the button seemingly doesn't work and you can't switch it off, on power up the moniter speaker and headphone socket doesn't work unless you depress the two volume buttons simultaneously, the line output is unaffected, when a disc is inserted, it doesn't return the number of tracks, but plays fine through the normal play and direct access buttons. Are these faults or maybe just quirks of the system? Regarding improving performance, it has a Wordclock input and output, I'm not completely sure exactly what that does but by chance managed to pick up for pennies an apparently rare version of a Trichord Pulsemaster jitter reduction unit with a Wordclock output, will it benefit the A730 plugging this in? Also as it has a AES output, again would it improve matters plugging in a more modern DAC using this connection? For example I saw a 24bit Flying Cow DAC with AES input on Ebay, would that be a good route? As you may have gathered from the above post I'm a complete novice at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would say touch it as little as possible. Maybe some obvious repairs (soldering joints etc) and that's it. Don't "waste" it be modding it. Think it will not do good to the value.

And also use it as little as possible..... There's a CDM3 in there, which is nearly impossible to replace.... Look at my avatar to know how it looks :)

Last edited:
Lucky you are :)
I have same Studer, unfortunately with dead laser, CDM3 is almost impossible to find.
I have full user and service manual, if you are interested in I will send you.
The Trichord Pulsemaster have to send Work Clock to Studer and DAC, so the
DAC you wish to use must have Work Clock too.

99, 89 dollars. And then the question if it works....

The other cdm's (complete players) are much easier to find and very cheap. And you can use a very cheap plastic one to fix an expensive metal cdm in a high end player. No problem.

Keep in mind there are two versions of cdm3. Getting one doesn't mean it will work (without some mods on the player side).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.