Lampizators NOS-mod + Digi-lampizator ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Lampizators NOS-mod + Digi-lampizator ??

Hi!
A greenhorn question for you...

I am going to use my Marantz CD-75 with 1541/7022 as a transport, and I would like to try the non oversampling mod as described by among others http://www.lampizator.eu/Nonoversampling/NOS.html

The idea of a transport with tube is also very tempting, as described here CD Transport Digi-Lampizator

My question is, can these two mods be combined?
Is it still possible to find the spdif-signal on the 14th leg of the 7220 after the NOS-mod, and if not - is it possible on a general basis to say where I can find it?
Old 4th February 2011, 04:37 AM   #2
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
Hi, I think you have misunderstood the nature or technical implications of the two mods you mentioned.

1. The first mod is NOS ( non oversampling).That is you bypass 7220 and reconnect I2S signal namely WS (word clock) ,left and right signal to DAC
in the same box.( I may have missed another signal).3 signals in all.
Oversampling is normally designed into a cd player or external DAC unless stated otherwise.

2. The second mod is simply adding a RF tube buffer to the output of
7220.(No bypass).

3. Now this is the important difference that you should know.If you want to use your cd player as transport then you only tap the spdif signal from the RCA connector provided or TOSlink ( optical) if available on the machine to external DAC So no modification is needed. If none is available then you can tap from the laser decoder IC.

4. If you want to do both mods to your machine it is possible but it may be
too much for you should something go wrong.I suggest to do one at a time if that's what you want.In otherwords the second mod should be done
when you want to use 7720 and the internal DAC.

5. Of course you can tube buffer the SPDIF signal but that is adding complexicity when you are just learning to do mods.

Hope this clear to you. singa

Last edited by singa; 4th February 2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for reply Singa!
The soldering work itself will be done by someone skilled, so I don`t worry about anything going bad. I am going to use the player as a transport only, but will try some modding :-)

Do I understand you correctly that the NOS mod will also affect the signal on the SPDIF, not only to the internal DAC?

After NOSing the 7220 I quess there will be no SPDIF signal on the 14th leg of the 7220 any more... Do you know where I can tap into the SPDIF after NOSing and send it directly to the SPDIF connector or through a tube buffer?

KR
Old 7th February 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Let me comment on this. NOS will not affect the SPDIF signal, because the SPDIF has no oversampling. You should not remove the 7220, just tap its input I2S pins 1, 2 and 3 instead of its output (4x oversampled) I2S pins 18, 16 and 15, going to the 1541 pins 1, 2 and 3. But if you use the player as a transport, NOS does not make any sense...
Old 7th February 2011, 11:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

IMO, all those "lampizator" mods are just crippling the sound of the CD players that are "modded" by that guy. He is obsessed with one thing and managed to have a credule audience in people that have no experience in the audio field, don't know how a CD should sound but are impressed by a "retro" look, makes them feel "eclectic" and "not understand" or "out of main stream".
Old 8th February 2011, 08:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
IMO, all those "lampizator" mods are just crippling the sound of the CD players that are "modded" by that guy. He is obsessed with one thing and managed to have a credule audience in people that have no experience in the audio field, don't know how a CD should sound but are impressed by a "retro" look, makes them feel "eclectic" and "not understand" or "out of main stream".

Have you had the oportunity to A/B-test any players with and without the mods "lampizator" describes? In what way is the sound crippled?
Old 9th February 2011, 12:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

For me sounded like it has fake harmonics and distortions.
I did try the "easy" mod - a TDA1541 player with the SAA7220 bypassed... with better OpAmps than original.
And I put it back as it was.
Old 9th February 2011, 08:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For me sounded like it has fake harmonics and distortions.
I did try the "easy" mod - a TDA1541 player with the SAA7220 bypassed... with better OpAmps than original.
And I put it back as it was.
As far as I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, the NOS mod is more widely adopted than just by Lampizators "credule audience in people that have no experience in the audio field" ?

I guess you are not one of those "people that have no experience in the audio field", and rolled your OpAmps to new ones widely considered to be better, and of the correct type, voltage specs and so on.
If so, the OpAmp rolling is not likely to be the cause of "fake harmonics and distortions"....

If oshifis is correct in that "NOS will not affect the SPDIF signal, because the SPDIF has no oversampling", and the mods you did resulted in "fake harmonics and distorsions", that would imply (ruling out the use of the wrong OpAmps) that the SPDIF signal by nature have these charateristics because it is not oversampled...
That somehow doesn`t seem likely either....
Old 9th February 2011, 04:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What are you talking about? The OpAms are not on SPDIF path... NOS/OS has nothing to do with SPDIF either, it is "happening" because of the conversion to analog filtering requirements (some dudes explained why: Nyqust-Shannon), is not necessar for the digital domain.

SPDIF is just a way to transmit the digital signal to an exterior DAC/receiver. THERE will be OS when is converted to analog (in that DAC/receiver DAC side).
Old 9th February 2011, 05:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What are you talking about? The OpAms are not on SPDIF path...
Sorry, I can`t see why you think that I wrote anything about OpAms in the SPDIF path.

You tell me you have rolled OpAmps and done a NOS mod to the 7220.

I find it hard to believe that changing the OpAmps for better ones of the right kind produces "fake harmonics and distortions"

That leaves the NOS... If bypassing the oversampling on the 7220 creates "fake harmonics and distortions", then what about the signal on the SPDIF which has not been oversampled?

If it is the NOS mod that has created the problems, I would think that the naturally NOS SPDIF signal contain the same problems?
Sounds strange to me that oversampling in an external DAC will fix "fake harmonics and distortions"...

That`s what I am talking about, once more

Hide this!Advertise here!