PD-S802 Modifying.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
FNQ is offline FNQ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Smile PD-S802 Modifying....

I just picked-up PD-S802 stable platter player in as new condition. I have read previous posts about mods but last post was about year 2005 or so.
Now that more time has passed and many parts for mods have maybe become cheaper/better & more members have maybe experimented with various mods etc, I would like to hear of the more recent improvements members have achieved with the PD-S802.Thanks
Old 26th January 2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have modified a PD-S802, PD-S505, PD-S707 and a PD-S06.
Cd-drive is world-class, DAC is great, so focus on analogue part and powers supply.

The prioritized list of biggest improvements in my opinion:
1) Parallel output caps with filmtype ( MKP, MKT, polypropylene)
2) Remove mute-transistor
3) Increase value of supply-decoupling capacitors close to DAC chip
4) Change opamps to better types ( observe feedback compensation - check for oscillations and nice squarewaves with an oscilloscope)

Enjoy a CD-player that is impossible to wear out, and with a sound that will beat your friends 7000$ players
Old 27th January 2011, 01:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You can, in fact, eliminate the output final capacitors, and just jumper the connection w/wire. There is much to be gained, though, by parallelling film caps accross the other electrolytic caps on the supply lines to the dacs & output stages.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
FNQ is offline FNQ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nrik and Stephensank thanks for replies.
I can snip and good at micro-soldering. I have a schematic diagram from hfengine BUT..... limited understanding of what part is what example:
How do I parallel film caps across other electrolytic caps? What would values of film caps be?
Which are the supply decoupling caps?
If I know which are which I can do the job.
Hey can u tell me part id number of the muting transistor?
I know lots of questions here but I really would like to do the improvements and not stuff-up the player. Hope u guys can help me. Would appreciate it

Hide this!Advertise here!