Crackling/static noise from CD63ki

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a [not too serious... yet] problem.

My Marantz CD63ki makes a terrible crackiling noise, after being left on for several hours - usually develops overnight ready for the morning listening. The noise only starts when music is played, and is remedied by switching off and on again. After switching off and on the noise is cured until I leave it for a long time, and the same happens again.

My player only developed this fault after lots of modifying, and my own guess is I have dislodged some componentry when taking the board in and out. The problem sounds very similar in nature to the one found on this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14095&highlight=player+crackle

I am not very technically literate unfortunately, so please use plain English :)

TIA
-Simon

ooh, one more thing to add, now that I've just been for a quick listen, first of the day:

The noise only comes from the right channel, which must narrow the problem down somewhat, hopefully!

The noise bears little or no relation to the music, except that when it's stopped or paused it stops, and when it's playing it's there.

Off and on completely kills the noise, but I fear some kind of damage will occur if I leave it, or that it will get worse.

-Simon

If you haven't removed them ... the muting transistors for the right chanel could be busted? These are close to the analog out RCA jacks. They could also be a cold joint somewhere.

To help with your diagnosis. Check your digital out to see whether the noise still exists. If there is no noise the problem is related to your analog section

Thanks for the suggestions binatang,

The muting transistors are already out. I haven't had time to try those caps yet. A dry joint sounds quite possible, considering the number of times the player has been taken apart, and its age. I think one of the op-amps looks a little wonky, I will have a poke around later or tomorrow hopefully.

-Simon

I swapped the DC blocking caps for tiny film ones, a truly experimental move.... no bass! Really, virtually no bass, no lower mids, it's almost like listening through a high pass filter!

I'm guessing this is the result of the cap substitution, and not wrecking something else randomly when I was inside...

Tomorrow I will know if the crackling still exists.

btw that op-amp seems soldered in very well, and nothing else seems wrong, just from looking.

-Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.