True Digital Audio Amplifier (TDAA)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm seriously considering to design and build speakers with one TDAA (based on TI's chips) per driver and one "active" digital crossover (implemented by TI's TAS3103 digital audio processor) per speaker. This way I can endlessly (well nearly) tweak the crossover for the best response in my listening room.

Also, it should have less distortion overall than a conventional setup, because the audio signal only becomes analog when it's almost in the driver.

The idea is to then have one audio data cable carrying the digital audio data to each speaker, and one control cable from a central control box controlling volume etc for each speaker. This setup also eliminates the need for a separate DAC/s.

Any suggestions (or advice) are welcome. Anyone interested in doing the same or taking part in the design should also feel free to post a reply.

Thanks

DJ

I have also been thinking about using the TAS3103 for a digital x-over. Two TAS3103 controlled by an Atmel AVR with RS232 connection to PC should make a nice stereo 3-way x-over.

S/PDIF receivers (DIR1703) could be included on the board and just use i2s outputs. The hardest part is the software, depending on how fancy one would like to make it.

The TDAA is outside my field of interest for the moment, but that may change :)

I don't have much time for DIY in the summer, but I could always join in on the thought process :idea:

MWP, that thread is not very close to what I plan at all. There is a fairly huge difference between a TDAA and a "conventional" digital amp. Thanks anyway.

ojg, thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to call your help in if I run into a problem. As they say, two brains are better than one.

I have ordered samples of the following from TI:
TAS3103 - for the digital crossover as mentioned
TAS5015 - for converting PCM samples to PWM
TAS5111 - output/power stage (perhaps I'll still go discrete)
PLL1708 - for accurate clocks
DIR1703 - for receiving SPDIF

I've also started drawing block diagrams for the design. Can't wait to "get my hands dirty" though...

DJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.