EZDAC two-box DAC built, finally! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2011, 01:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EZDAC two-box DAC built, finally!

After a false attempt at building ezkcdude's EZDAC I have finally completed a working version.
I wanted to do a two box DAC with the power supply and the DAC in separate boxes.
The complete DAC uses a 12VAC wall wart supply, with the power supply box doing rectification and regulation to +/- 15VDC using ezkcdude's EZDUAL power supply project.

Two box completed DAC:
Click the image to open in full size.

The lower box is the power supply with the black power switch. The upper box is the DAC with a front panel selector switch for selecting coaxial or Toslink input.

This is a shot of the inside of the DAC box. Notice the perf board "daughtercard" which converts Toslink's TTL signal to spdif standard.

Here's a closeup of the inner side of the rear panel:

Those of you with a keen eye will recognize this as version 1.0 of ezkcdude's EZDAC board. The latest v1.5 version of the board now comes with a soldermask. It should make soldering far easier. I've bought one of these v1.5 boards for a later souped up EZDAC project.

Here is a closeup of the daughtercard that converts Toslink TTL signal to spdif:

I decided to do a "standard" build of this project. So I pilfered ezkcdude's EZDUAL power supply project for the power supply. I am using a 12VAC wall wart to power the supply. This kept everything simple and safe:

In a fit of blind ambition I even created a "silkscreen" for the pc board using the laser toner transfer method:

Finally here's a shot of the inner side of the rear panel:

So the thing actually works and works very well. I'll post listening notes a bit later.

Cheers
Baldrick

Hide this!Advertise here!