EZDAC two-box DAC built, finally!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a false attempt at building ezkcdude's EZDAC I have finally completed a working version.
I wanted to do a two box DAC with the power supply and the DAC in separate boxes.
The complete DAC uses a 12VAC wall wart supply, with the power supply box doing rectification and regulation to +/- 15VDC using ezkcdude's EZDUAL power supply project.

Two box completed DAC:
01box_front.jpg

The lower box is the power supply with the black power switch. The upper box is the DAC with a front panel selector switch for selecting coaxial or Toslink input.
02box_rear.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of the DAC box. Notice the perf board "daughtercard" which converts Toslink's TTL signal to spdif standard.
03dac_inner.jpg

Here's a closeup of the inner side of the rear panel:
04dac_rearinner.jpg

Those of you with a keen eye will recognize this as version 1.0 of ezkcdude's EZDAC board. The latest v1.5 version of the board now comes with a soldermask. It should make soldering far easier. I've bought one of these v1.5 boards for a later souped up EZDAC project.

Here is a closeup of the daughtercard that converts Toslink TTL signal to spdif:
06daughtercard.jpg

I decided to do a "standard" build of this project. So I pilfered ezkcdude's EZDUAL power supply project for the power supply. I am using a 12VAC wall wart to power the supply. This kept everything simple and safe:
07ps_pcb.jpg

In a fit of blind ambition I even created a "silkscreen" for the pc board using the laser toner transfer method:
08ps_pcb.jpg

Finally here's a shot of the inner side of the rear panel:
09ps_rear.jpg

So the thing actually works and works very well. I'll post listening notes a bit later.

Cheers
Baldrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.