My old Denon 615 won't play my new Wilco CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All, I just got a few new Wilco CDs. The live album, "Kicking Televisions" will not play on my Denon DCD615 player that I got around '94 or so. The readout just comes up all zeros as if there is not a CD in it after you can here it searching with some clicking noises it makes.

It has never done this with any CD in all the time I've had it. It plays all the other Wilco CDs just fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks for any help.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
See if the suspect disc plays OK on a few other players. It could be a combination of CD and Denon with both being defective in some way.

If the Denon meets the red book standard, if the RF is good and of correct amplitude, then I think you can stand your ground and argue the CD is substandard.

It would be interesting to see if the disc does play on another machine, and what the quality of signal is like from this disc (the rf).

The disc may well play in a PC and so you could copy it.

The disc may well play in a PC and so you could copy it.

I would be VERY CAREFUL about that. You don't know whether it's a real RedBook CD, or some horrible thing that'll try to install a rootkit on your hard drive. Sony sold millions of those before they got caught; that's why I have no Sony gear in the house and I actively dissuade people from buying anything from them. Fool me once, etc.

The CD will play on my wife's Dell laptop and the DVD player in our TV setup. With laptop speakers and TV speakers (no home theatre stuff here) it would be impossible to know what the sound quality is like. I have no idea what RF stands for. I have no way of knowing how you determine if this is a real Redbook CD.

I would be VERY CAREFUL about that. You don't know whether it's a real RedBook CD, or some horrible thing that'll try to install a rootkit on your hard drive. Sony sold millions of those before they got caught; that's why I have no Sony gear in the house and I actively dissuade people from buying anything from them. Fool me once, etc.

was this the same thing which caused cd's to get stuck in apple macs?

as regards the not playing issue, the cd may have 'enhanced content' on it, videos etc, its supposed to work correctly but that isn't always the case. i have a re-issue of an old cd and it wont work in my cdp.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The CD will play on my wife's Dell laptop and the DVD player in our TV setup. With laptop speakers and TV speakers (no home theatre stuff here) it would be impossible to know what the sound quality is like. I have no idea what RF stands for. I have no way of knowing how you determine if this is a real Redbook CD.

RF is the term used for the signal coming from the laser pickup. Sometimes called the "eye pattern".

To determine why the disc doesn't play in the Denon requires at least this to be examined.

A redbook standard CD is one that conforms to the original spec drawn up for CD. Any disc with enhanced content, videos etc is not to this standard.

My own Micromega for example will try and "play" the video/data on such a CD and just output noise and hash. Any disc like that should not have the logo "Digital Audio Compact Disc" on it.

Sony "Rootkit"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Last edited:
Look at the color/hue of the reflective surface of the CD. I have seen "production" cd's that were actually done on cd-r(from Nimbus, at least), and your player is not unlikely to have trouble with some brands of cd-r(should play most, though, not necessarily all). If there is any greenish hue to the disc compared to a known good cd, it's a cd-r.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.