Multichannel DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2003, 07:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dunderchief
Default Multichannel DAC

So I've been searching and searching and searching, but I cannot seem to find on instance of a DAC project that will convert more than two channels. Does such a thing exist. I was thinking of using a DSP (probably from a computer sound card) to actively crossover a bi or tri amp system in the digital domain, but t his would require a 4 or 6 channel DAC. I know that SPDIF is capable of outputting that many channels but cannot find anything on decoding that many channels. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 23rd July 2003, 06:59 PM   #2
 is offline  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Hi
Begin here

http://www.anidian.com/audio/construct/adac_1.shtml

Regards
Old 23rd July 2003, 07:13 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

That's my site actually. If you need to do multichannel the Alesis chips are by far the easiest way to do it. I'm not aware of anything other than ADAT that has out-of-box encode and decode hardware.

There are many multichannel DACs available, targeted towards AC3/DTS. Some of them are quite good, although single channel or stereo DACs probably sound better.
Old 25th July 2003, 05:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've found several multichannel DAC's. Unfortunately my circuit design skills aren't up to designing something on my own (give me a year or two, I'll get there). The ADAC looks killer, but does wayyyy more than I need. I'm just looking for a stand alone DAC. Does anybody know of a project, even one that I could buy a PCB for. Thanks.
Old 25th July 2003, 02:32 PM   #5
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

DACs with more than one channel will use a different format of I2S to 2 channel DACs. Most ise a AC97 format.
These means thay cannot be used with normal SPDIF signals and recievers.

Your better off just building a few 2chn DACs.
Old 26th July 2003, 11:28 PM   #6
DJ is offline DJ  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DJ
Hey dunderchief

I've been thinking about designing a high quality multichannel DAC for a while now... Thing is I don't really need one at this point and I have quite a lot on my fork, but if you want, I guess I can go ahead and just design the thing.

The idea was that it should have exceptional sound quality, so I want to use single or dual DAC IC's but nothing more. This means quite a few IC's in total. Also I wanted to give mine balanced outputs, so DAC IC's which require external I/V converters is a must. This is a good idea anyway, since you can get better quality by building discrete I/V converters.

Like I said, if you're interested I can make a plan to design one.

DJ
Old 27th July 2003, 05:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

THAT'S PERFECT!!!! Sounds like exactly what I would be looking for. My only worry is what the person in the last post said. Would it need to be a specific type of SPDIF or other digital input? If you are willing to design something like this I would be eternally greatful. Please don't rush through anything else on my behalf, wouldn't want to affect anything, but if you get something done up, feel free to use me as a guinea pig or anything else you need.

Cheers
-Steve
Old 28th July 2003, 08:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Don't worry too much about what the other guy said.

As long as you understand that I have some other things to do as well and that this project would therefore take a while, I'll be willing to design it.

Do you have access to PCB manufacturing facilities, or can you have some made?

I'm thinking that I can do a preliminary design (rather quickly), but it would save time if you can build and test the prototype. Then you can report back to me and I'll do the necessary adjustment/s to the design.

How does that sound?

DJ
Old 28th July 2003, 09:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm assuming I do. I'm an electrical engineering student at a major University, so I have to imagine that they have the capability to do so. I will do some checking and get back to you. I won't even be back full time until the end of September so like I said, please do not rush anything else. Again thanks for doing this and let me know what you would like me to do. The easiest way to get ahold of me will probably be to use email, and if you have ideas on what chips you would like to use and general parts it would be great if you could let me know a few of the basics I will need as I would like to start getting some parts. Thanks again.

Cheers
-Steve
Old 29th July 2003, 08:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm also at a university over here, and our PCB manufacturing isn't very good. It's fine for prototyping, but nothing fancy. No solder mask, no silkscreen etc. Let me know how yours is if you have any. Perhaps when the design is final you can have a board made for me too(?).

I'll get back to you on the parts after the coming weekend, I'll only have time for this project then. Sorry.

DJ

Hide this!Advertise here!