Multichannel DAC - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2003, 04:37 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

There really isn't much info on the XR25 out there - it's mostly fluffy marketing lit. The best info is actually here - check the 'digital amp' topic. Brian Brown(?) is disecting the XR10, which is the predecessor to the XR25. Info on the TI chips in question is here:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/search/para...e&familyId=519

I'm going to try to get the service manual for the XR25. I opened mine up last night, and it's a bit intimidating - while pretty 'minimalist' in some senses, the main boards are very densely packed with small SMT chips. Certain mods will definately be very delicate. It looks to my untrained eye that the I2S lines into the amps might be pretty easily accessable, but I'm guessing on that.
Old 4th October 2003, 09:50 PM   #42
DJ is offline DJ  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DJ
Yeah I've been looking at building some of those TI TDAAs (true digital audio amplifiers) for some time now. Since it looks a little tricky I'm first building a Tripath class-D amp to get a feel for digital amps before I get my hands dirty with the heap of TI samples lying on my desk. The goal is to build a whole "DACless" all-digital system, using TI's TAS3103s for digital crossovers along with the equibit amps (one amp per speaker driver).

Anyways, incase you were wondering I'm making a whole lot of progress on the DAC front, especially since I've discovered that I also have need for one. The PCB layout should be finished by the end of this coming week and the prototype PCB itself should be done within a week from then.

Cheers for now.

DJ
Old 4th October 2003, 10:05 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dunderchief
Wow, glad to hear you're coming along nicely on this. Where are you having boards done? Would having more made make it cheaper as I would still love to build one of these. Let me know. Cheers
Old 7th October 2003, 12:54 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Sadly for you, but luckily for me, I'm having my boards made free of charge using VERY sneaky methods. Nothing illegal though! But this means I can only make one or two. I'll give you the PCB-layout when I'm done so you can have your own boards made though.

I really hope to be done with the layout by Friday, otherwise it will definitely be done on Monday.

Cheers

DJ
Old 12th October 2003, 12:30 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Project status update

The PCB layout is complete and I hope to have the prototype board made by the end of the week. I will then assemble the prototype during the following week so I can start testing ASAP.

As soon as I'm happy that the DAC works I'll release the PCB layout etc for you guys to build your own ones.

Have a nice week.

DJ
Old 4th November 2010, 11:03 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

OMG I cant believe I just found this thread. I'm only what, 7 years late? Awesome. Fellas, did you make this DIY multichannel DAC a reality? I've found myself wanting to do something of this nature and am really interested in this!
Old 5th November 2010, 12:51 PM   #47
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you guys might want to check out the upcoming 8 channel ackodac sabre based module. my experience with the 2 channel version is superlative. fully fledged 8 channel digital volume control via MCU and all dac registers exposed

Hide this!Advertise here!