Multichannel DAC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2003, 05:38 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dunderchief
Wow, now I'm really excited to see this schematic. What are you going to use as a source for the digital signals? I'm still waiting to hear from my professor, but I should know by the end of the week what I can do.
Old 22nd August 2003, 06:58 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hey, so I just heard from my Uni, and basically they said no to everything. No PCB's, no deal with parts suppliers. So I guess that means we're on our own, which sucks. I'll start ordering samples now I suppose. How's the schematic coming. Any idea on PCB art? Still excited to see what comes out of this.
Old 25th August 2003, 10:51 AM   #23
DJ is offline DJ  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DJ
I have 7 tests next week, so progress is slow. After that I have a week off, so then things should speed up.
Old 25th August 2003, 08:02 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

No worries, I'll be switching jobs soon, so I should have more time to get going on a prototype. I got my samples today. I can't believe TI sends stuff overnight mail. I'm fairly intimidated by the size of most of the components, they're fricking tiny. Any ideas on where to pick up a good surface mount soldering iron. Also, once you get this done, could someone in the US tell me where I can get PCB's printed, I've always had them done through the school, but they won't tell me where they send them.
Old 25th August 2003, 08:43 PM   #25
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

The Solomon irons that MPJA sells are pretty decent on the cheap end. Someone here was also selling some very nice units a while back. Basically you just need a nice adjustable iron with an isolated tip, and one that has small tips available.

I can't say enough good things about advanced circuits for protos. www.4pcb.com
Old 25th August 2003, 09:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You might want to consider one of those gas powered soldering irons that double as a hot air pencil. Weller do one called a Pyropen.

ray.
Old 27th August 2003, 02:38 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default the point of this?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I still can't figure out exactly what is being attempted here.

The only two applications I can see as being even remotely 'mainstream' for a multichannel DAC would be
a) digital crossovers
b) Home theater surround
(or both together, obviously)
Since I actually am 'using'/putting together a PC-based HT system using digital xovers, I think I understand this application.

The problem is that I still don't see where you're going to get either of the above signals in digital form, and until that is established I don't see how you can design a DAC. No affordable HT processor provides digital outputs, and I don't believe any of the typical off0the-shelf digital crossovers provide dig out either.

It seems to me that a computer soundcard is the only viable 'cheap' way to get multiple channels, and aside from the Lynx LS-AES I don't know of any that offer multiple spdif outputs. Hoontech/ST-Audio had one for their DSP-24, but I don't know that it's available anymore. Even then, each SPDIF input will have it's own master clock that you will NOT be able to assume are in sync, so you'll have to route/switch clock as well as signal lines internally.

I guess where I'm confused is why you don't look at something like taking a ST-Audio C-Port system or an M-Audio Delta 1010 (ie an 8 channel soundcard with an external DAC connected by a DB-25 cable) and either simply hack/tweak/upgrade the DAC section or else reverse-engineer the pinouts on the expansion bus if you want to go completely custom. This gives you a well-supported source of digital signals without having to worry about multiple clock source sync.
Old 27th August 2003, 06:23 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the point of this?

Quote:
Originally posted by dwk123
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I still can't figure out exactly what is being attempted here.

The only two applications I can see as being even remotely 'mainstream' for a multichannel DAC would be
a) digital crossovers
b) Home theater surround
(or both together, obviously)
Since I actually am 'using'/putting together a PC-based HT system using digital xovers, I think I understand this application.

The problem is that I still don't see where you're going to get either of the above signals in digital form, and until that is established I don't see how you can design a DAC. No affordable HT processor provides digital outputs, and I don't believe any of the typical off0the-shelf digital crossovers provide dig out either.

It seems to me that a computer soundcard is the only viable 'cheap' way to get multiple channels, and aside from the Lynx LS-AES I don't know of any that offer multiple spdif outputs. Hoontech/ST-Audio had one for their DSP-24, but I don't know that it's available anymore. Even then, each SPDIF input will have it's own master clock that you will NOT be able to assume are in sync, so you'll have to route/switch clock as well as signal lines internally.

I guess where I'm confused is why you don't look at something like taking a ST-Audio C-Port system or an M-Audio Delta 1010 (ie an 8 channel soundcard with an external DAC connected by a DB-25 cable) and either simply hack/tweak/upgrade the DAC section or else reverse-engineer the pinouts on the expansion bus if you want to go completely custom. This gives you a well-supported source of digital signals without having to worry about multiple clock source sync.
Soundcards with multichannel SPDIF outputs are not much use when you want a multichannel DAC.
There are a number uses for multichannel dacs and there has been at least one previous request in this forum for such a device, the poster wanted to connect an analogue mixer. And for the price of a top end soundcard one can easily put 24 channels in a 1U case by going the DIY route.

ray.
Old 27th August 2003, 06:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I will also be using this thing in a PC based situation. My thought at the moment was to use multiple cheaper soundcards with SPDIF output, rather than one really expensive one with multiple outputs. I suppose this means even more problems with Clock sync, and to be honest I hadn't considered it. I'm sure DJ would be open to suggestions on a solution to this, or perhaps he already has a solution. I have also thought about going to way of the Delta 410 sound card especially considering it's use of the external breakout box.
Old 27th August 2003, 09:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dunderchief
I will also be using this thing in a PC based situation. My thought at the moment was to use multiple cheaper soundcards with SPDIF output, rather than one really expensive one with multiple outputs. I suppose this means even more problems with Clock sync, and to be honest I hadn't considered it. I'm sure DJ would be open to suggestions on a solution to this, or perhaps he already has a solution. I have also thought about going to way of the Delta 410 sound card especially considering it's use of the external breakout box.
The cheaper soundcards, aside from not having external sync options, tend not to have the buffering that lessens the effects of latency, a situation that can only be made worse by multiple soundcards running at once. For multiple I/O, analogue or digital, you are better off with something like a Delta 10/10 or one of the similar level cards.

ray.

Hide this!Advertise here!