Roksan Candy CD transport upgrade? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2011, 10:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Roksan Candy CD transport upgrade?

My Kandy has Sony's ubiquitous KSS-213C inside; it's gradually started skipping as many older units do. Reading related threads, it seems there's wisdom in replacing 'the works', since motors and other bits also expire. I live in a very dry cold Canadian climate, which can be hard on electronics.

Do you have any advice on 'plug-and-play' replacing the entire KSM transport unit (or are they universal, as computer CD/DVD drives are?)

I admit I'm no electonics technician, although I can put together a PC, so is that knowledge transfrable enough to make DIY repair of the Kandy prctical?

As a newbie here, I appreciate anyone's experience and wisdom...
Old 10th January 2011, 08:19 AM   #2
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
Hi,
It's most likely it's the laser head.But since you want to change the whole assembly ,it would take away the worry about the motors.If you can get it cheap over at your place then go ahead.Well putting together a PC don't
exactly qualify you to do it but many newbies have done it successfully.
The thing you should remember is to desolder (open) the short across
the laser head assembly before installing it into the cdplayer.

Be careful with the flexible cable as it is filmsy and can be damaged.If you have difficulty getting KSS-213C,email me.There is a tutorial of how to do
it here.Just do a search .It is better to photogragh first the original
assembly before attempting the replacement as there will be confidence
of putting it back together.Take note of the rubber suspension/springs it is
critcal to operation of laser and cdplayer function.
Goodluck.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The skipping may or may not be a pickup or motor issue. It's always best to put a scope on the RF signal and see what's going on. If you replace a pickup then a scope is really required to set it up properly... yes 9 times out of 10 it will work straight off but for a proper job and all E-F balance and focus bias are critical adjustments.

Static is a major issue in very dry climates so don't remove any shorting link on a pickup until it is installed.

I take it you have cleaned the lens properly, so it's shiny and bright. Skipping is just as likely to be mechanical, usually a sticky sled or dirt/dust in the gears that drive the pickup.
Old 11th January 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
The skipping may or may not be a pickup or motor issue. It's always best to put a scope on the RF signal and see what's going on. If you replace a pickup then a scope is really required to set it up properly... yes 9 times out of 10 it will work straight off but for a proper job and all E-F balance and focus bias are critical adjustments.

Static is a major issue in very dry climates so don't remove any shorting link on a pickup until it is installed.

I take it you have cleaned the lens properly, so it's shiny and bright. Skipping is just as likely to be mechanical, usually a sticky sled or dirt/dust in the gears that drive the pickup.
The KSS-213 is factory adjusted/QCed (plug and play) so no need to do adjustment and it would be foolish to do so only first generation cdplayers need adjustment or is it certain models.Any way our friend's only practical experience is assembling a PC.I doubt he knows what's a multimeter much
less a scope.

Regards.

Hide this!Advertise here!