Roksan Candy CD transport upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Kandy has Sony's ubiquitous KSS-213C inside; it's gradually started skipping as many older units do. Reading related threads, it seems there's wisdom in replacing 'the works', since motors and other bits also expire. I live in a very dry cold Canadian climate, which can be hard on electronics.

Do you have any advice on 'plug-and-play' replacing the entire KSM transport unit (or are they universal, as computer CD/DVD drives are?)

I admit I'm no electonics technician, although I can put together a PC, so is that knowledge transfrable enough to make DIY repair of the Kandy prctical?

As a newbie here, I appreciate anyone's experience and wisdom...

Hi,
It's most likely it's the laser head.But since you want to change the whole assembly ,it would take away the worry about the motors.If you can get it cheap over at your place then go ahead.Well putting together a PC don't
exactly qualify you to do it but many newbies have done it successfully.
The thing you should remember is to desolder (open) the short across
the laser head assembly before installing it into the cdplayer.

Be careful with the flexible cable as it is filmsy and can be damaged.If you have difficulty getting KSS-213C,email me.There is a tutorial of how to do
it here.Just do a search .It is better to photogragh first the original
assembly before attempting the replacement as there will be confidence
of putting it back together.Take note of the rubber suspension/springs it is
critcal to operation of laser and cdplayer function.
Goodluck.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The skipping may or may not be a pickup or motor issue. It's always best to put a scope on the RF signal and see what's going on. If you replace a pickup then a scope is really required to set it up properly... yes 9 times out of 10 it will work straight off but for a proper job and all :) E-F balance and focus bias are critical adjustments.

Static is a major issue in very dry climates so don't remove any shorting link on a pickup until it is installed.

I take it you have cleaned the lens properly, so it's shiny and bright. Skipping is just as likely to be mechanical, usually a sticky sled or dirt/dust in the gears that drive the pickup.

The skipping may or may not be a pickup or motor issue. It's always best to put a scope on the RF signal and see what's going on. If you replace a pickup then a scope is really required to set it up properly... yes 9 times out of 10 it will work straight off but for a proper job and all :) E-F balance and focus bias are critical adjustments.

Static is a major issue in very dry climates so don't remove any shorting link on a pickup until it is installed.

I take it you have cleaned the lens properly, so it's shiny and bright. Skipping is just as likely to be mechanical, usually a sticky sled or dirt/dust in the gears that drive the pickup.

The KSS-213 is factory adjusted/QCed (plug and play) so no need to do adjustment and it would be foolish to do so only first generation cdplayers need adjustment or is it certain models.Any way our friend's only practical experience is assembling a PC.I doubt he knows what's a multimeter much
less a scope.

Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.