Budget Toslink to stereo analog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my TV's analog L/R outputs connected to my vintage stereo system. This works, but the TV has a rather dismal S/N. I can hear hiss when the program material gets soft. The hiss is even there when the TV is muted. The TV has an optical output, I believe it's called Toslink. I figure the digital output would have a better S/N, but I would need a device to convert it to analog L/R. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive small converter? If there is a kit out there, that would be super.

Bobby Dipole

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would imagine the optical output of the TV is just normal SPDIF standard. TOSLINK is the common optical connection system, not the format.
So you need a DAC or amp that has either optical SPDIF inputs or maybe even have a go at building an optical to "coax" convertor and feeding that into a "normal" DAC that accepts electrical inputs.

I use a Sony MiniDisc recorder with a Pure DRX701 DAB tuner via SPDIF optical and the recorder also works with optical outputs from DVD players etc with no problem.

I'm enjoying the sounds of the Mini Dac from eBay:

HIFIDIY.net Mini 1793 SPDIF DAC Board -PCM1793+DIR9001

There are a couple of sellers and you can get it with or without case, power supply, etc. Opamp output is socketed, so you can upgrade (I used LM4562, which made a noticeable improvement).

I think there's a USB version if you need the added flexibility.

--Buckapound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.