Marantz CD-17 Mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audio_tony
Default Marantz CD-17 Mods

Here are some pics of mods done to my CD-17.

I can't remember exactly what has been replaced part for part, but you can see the general idea from the pics.

Shown are pics of the DAC area, servo area, HDAM (removed) and the PSU.

Most of the upgrades were improved capacitors (Oscons around the servo) and some other 'muse' capacitors around the DAC as well as a couple of low ESR caps in the PSU lines. The 3300uF caps in the main PSU were replaced with 10000uF items.

Also on view are the Brown Dog converters which have LM4562NA's mounted, replacing the SMD NJM 2114's. This has to be the most significant upgrade so far.

Inspiration for these mods came from this page as well as here on DIY Audio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3586.jpg (692.2 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3587.jpg (724.0 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3588.jpg (699.1 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3589.jpg (570.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3590.jpg (594.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3591.jpg (702.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3592.jpg (591.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3593.jpg (651.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3594.jpg (669.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3595.jpg (573.2 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by audio_tony; 23rd December 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony! Cant believe that there are no replies!!!

I must admit I really like that DAC7 chip. My favourite caps for digital rails are OsCon SEPC solid polymer caps. I modded a friends TEAC VRDS10 which had twin TDA1547's so loads of caps went in.

If you are looking to take this player further, a clock with direct feeds to both the 7372 and TDA will further improve things. I see you've already replaced the main smoothers! Thats a good move for sure. Although it could be perceived as overkill (which its not!), the servo will definitely appreciate the increase.

Not sure if the servo is unregulated like most other marantz players but if it is, its poss running about +/-10v unregulated. Try regulating the rail at 8v.That will also help loads!
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

oh 1 other thing! The TDA1547 has onboard opamps for the I/V conversion. If you were feeling adventurous, you could take the I/V external using better opamps!!!! That will bring gains for sure

Is there any DC on the output before the blocking caps?

Last edited by UV101; 2nd February 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
oh 1 other thing! The TDA1547 has onboard opamps for the I/V conversion. If you were feeling adventurous, you could take the I/V external using better opamps!!!! That will bring gains for sure

Is there any DC on the output before the blocking caps?
You can't fully disconnect the internal opamps
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

can the differential current out not be picked up on pins 10,11 for right and 22,23 for left channel?

Chip diagram attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1547chip.jpg (98.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello. You can as Ian said take the output from before the opamps, but they are still connected internally. You can also disconnect the +/- supplies to the internal opamps which simply shuts them down (pins 16&17) iirc.

Another really good mod is to replace the zener diodes in the discrete regulators to low-noise devices. Zener's are pretty noisy and replacing them with something like lm329's will make a big improvement to the sound.

Hope this helps, Lee.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audio_tony
If I understand the info from Lampizator correctly, the internal opamps can indeed be bypassed.

I'm not sure if I an be asked to go to that extent though, as the tracks are quite fragile.

It would probably be easier to get a 1547 chip, and build a complete new section on it's own board.

In which case I might as well use an external DAC

I have another three external DACs which I have been experimenting with, including a non OS TDA1543. So far, to my ears the TDA1547 still sounds the best though.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Def use those LM329's to replace the Zenors! I use them as the Vref on my regs!! dont we Lee! lol
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_tony View Post
If I understand the info from Lampizator correctly, the internal opamps can indeed be bypassed.

I'm not sure if I an be asked to go to that extent though, as the tracks are quite fragile.

It would probably be easier to get a 1547 chip, and build a complete new section on it's own board.

In which case I might as well use an external DAC

I have another three external DACs which I have been experimenting with, including a non OS TDA1543. So far, to my ears the TDA1547 still sounds the best though.
As I understand Mr Lampizator was not successful at all:
"I decided that this is a good plan and I applied it to TEAC VRDS D10 which uses same chips (but in Mono mode) . Despite wasting a whole weekend - nothing seems to work. I get noises, distortions, even echoes.

I decided to curse this DAC."
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSerraTico_Tico View Post
As I understand Mr Lampizator was not successful at all:
"I decided that this is a good plan and I applied it to TEAC VRDS D10 which uses same chips (but in Mono mode) . Despite wasting a whole weekend - nothing seems to work. I get noises, distortions, even echoes.

I decided to curse this DAC."
LOL. Strange, I've done it a few times now. My CD17 runs a fully discrete I/V and output stage.

Index of /images/Marantz CD17

Cheers, Lee.

Hide this!Advertise here!