Marantz CD-17 Mods - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2011, 09:02 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Lee,
Care to post a schematic? Which discrete IV are you using?
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It was a few years ago, but I'll see if I can dig it out. No promises tho, I may not have it.

Cheers, Lee.
Old 7th February 2011, 08:25 AM   #13
Lautar is offline Lautar  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lautar Send a message via MSN to Lautar Send a message via Yahoo to Lautar
try using
this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DISCRET-aut1.PDF (11.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 7th February 2011, 10:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lautar View Post
try using
this
As IV?
Old 7th February 2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've seen that cct before, nice n simple. You'd need to build four of those for I/V and then another two to sum the balanced outputs to single ended.

You can do more with less for sure.

Still trying to dig out my schematic

Lee.
Old 7th February 2011, 04:03 PM   #16
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Even a simple external opamp I/V would be better than the internal one! If you use something like a LME49720HA it would be a marked improvement over the original internal opamps and much easier to build than a fully descrete version!
Old 7th February 2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Lautar is offline Lautar  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lautar Send a message via MSN to Lautar Send a message via Yahoo to Lautar
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSerraTico_Tico View Post
As IV?
yes I/V
its very good chematic
Old 9th February 2011, 09:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Def use those LM329's to replace the Zenors! I use them as the Vref on my regs!! dont we Lee! lol
Here you go Tony! Get yourself 6 of these Farnell LM329 use 2 in series to replace D856, the same for D855. You will slightly raise the +/-12v rails to about 13v but this is fine. The amount of noise on these rails will be a fraction of what it was with the Zener. These rails are for the output stage and power the opamps and HDAMs (if they were still in circuit) as well as some other stuff. If you have bypassed the HDAM's you should remove the supply resistors so you are not powering them while not in use. I think you'v already changed C854 and C803. I would recommend something like 10000uf Panasonic TSUPs here or something better if you're feeling extravagant! C857 and C858 may benefit from an increase in uF maybe Panasonic TSUP or FC's?

The other Zeners in the PSU D832 and D831 can be replaced replace with a single LM329 and will run the +/- 5v rails a fraction over voltage but with much lower noise again.

A worthwhile upgrade for sure! the LM329's are about £1 each inc VAT! bargain!

Edit* while you are doing this, change caps C833,C834,C855 & C856 for something better too. Maybe Rubycon ZLG at about 220uF/25v as this will also improve the overall noise on the regulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD17 reg.jpg (141.1 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by UV101; 9th February 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audio_tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Here you go Tony! Get yourself 6 of these Farnell LM329 use 2 in series to replace D856, the same for D855. You will slightly raise the +/-12v rails to about 13v but this is fine. The amount of noise on these rails will be a fraction of what it was with the Zener. These rails are for the output stage and power the opamps and HDAMs (if they were still in circuit) as well as some other stuff.
I was thinking of replacing those with LM117/317, but I'll look into the zener replacements suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101
If you have bypassed the HDAM's you should remove the supply resistors so you are not powering them while not in use. I think you'v already changed C854 and C803.
The HDAMS have been completely disconnected and removed.

Main PSU caps have been replaced - nothing fancy though, just ordinary 10000uF caps (still better than the original 3300uF I would've thought).

Quote:
I would recommend something like 10000uf Panasonic TSUPs here or something better if you're feeling extravagant! C857 and C858 may benefit from an increase in uF maybe Panasonic TSUP or FC's?
I've already replaced these with some low ESR 2200uF caps.

Quote:
The other Zeners in the PSU D832 and D831 can be replaced replace with a single LM329 and will run the +/- 5v rails a fraction over voltage but with much lower noise again.

A worthwhile upgrade for sure! the LM329's are about £1 each inc VAT! bargain!
Again I was thinking about alternative 3 terminal regs here - but will try the LM329.

Quote:
Edit* while you are doing this, change caps C833,C834,C855 & C856 for something better too. Maybe Rubycon ZLG at about 220uF/25v as this will also improve the overall noise on the regulation.
I have replaced various other caps, some with OSCONS some with just off the shelf low ESR caps.

The board is a bit fragile, so I don't think I'll be changing them again lol!
Old 11th February 2011, 07:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony, more uF in the smoothers is always a good thing! The thing with the Panasonic TSUP is that they are also low esr which is even better.

The regulators in the CD17 are not LM317/337. They are Darlington transistors made to regulate voltage and will be much better from a noise point of view than 317/337's 78xx/79xx etc. This coupled with the low noise voltage refs replacing the original zeners will make very nice regs. If you were thinking about upgrading to commercial discrete low noise regs (super regs, S-Powers etc) they will be a very big improvement on the standard items but obviously they come at a premium. Fragile boards are a problem for sure and I understand why you'd not want to keep changing caps!!

Hide this!Advertise here!