Numark CDN-22S transformer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have acqquired a Numark CDN-22S dual Cd player.

The description I was given was " not turning on".

The power supply is a conventional transformer with twin secondaries.
Input is 115 / 220v

Anyone want to guess why it won't turn on ?

Open circuit primary on the transformer .
I would guess from being put into 110v on a UK supply.

My question :- Anyone know or can measure the secondary voltage?

Thanks.
Andy

Open primaries are almost ALWAYS the result of an open thermal cutoff, located in the final layers of outer wrappings of the windings. These cutoffs are completely redundant & unnecessary in all cases where there is a line fuse, and it's a simple matter to add a line fuse on those that lack them. About 7 times out of ten, the cutoff will be connected, visibly, to the external pins(of pc mount xfmr), easily identified by having non-enameled leads coming out to wrap onto pin, so simply a matter of shifting the ac connection to the pin having both the cutoff's lead & an enameled winding lead, bypassing the cutoff. In a wired-out xfmr, it's a matter of cracking open the transformer case/outer wrappings to access & bypass the cutoff, which is, again, usually very easy.
I'm sure I don't need to add, though, that you should check for shorted power supply caps & rectifiers before powering the thing up again.

Thermal switch 100%!

Regards zeoN_Rider

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 35
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.