Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2010, 09:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD85 problems

Dear All,

I recently purchased this item as a non-working unit, but it is in such fine condition it seems a sin to strip it for parts. The display illuminates all of the segments all of the time and the control bottons on the unit do not function. The previous owner siad that the player can operate via a remote, but I have not been able to substantiate that. There may be an issue with the CDM1 mk2 mechanism, but I may have one spare, so this is not so critical.

Can anyone shed some light on the display/contol issues described above? Would a repair be complicated and worth investigating?

Many thanks,
TD
Old 17th December 2010, 12:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be very surprised if the problem or problems with the unit are not entirely caused by failing Philips, Siemens and/or Matsushita/Panasonic eletrolytic capacitors. Odds are very good that if you replace every cap that is not a Nichicon, the unit will come back to life & be quite an excellent sounding player.
Old 17th December 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for that - thought that be the recommendation as I had read similar advice about a CD94 somewhere.

Cheers,
TD
Old 19th December 2010, 09:40 AM   #4
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

There are 5 33uf (check value) blue elco caps on the mech that will need replacing. Do a search on CDM-1 and similar, I've posted pics before. If you turn nothing up, post again and I'll dig the info out. I normally use oscon here.
Old 6th November 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Can anyone help - I have now found a spare CD85 and just want to transplant the main circuit board -need to remove the rear panel to do this - but this is far from straight forward. Anyone have any experience of working on a Marantz CD85 - is there anyway of removing the rear panel without unsoldering the mains cables, etc?

Many thanks to anyone who can help,

Kind regards,
TD
Old 10th November 2011, 06:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyone with experience of working on a CD85?

Thanks,
TD
Old 11th November 2011, 09:38 PM   #7
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The Marantz CD85 isn't a common player, so I think you're going to have a hard time finding people with any first hand experience of working on it.

The problem you're having could be caused by a whole heap of things. What you describe isn't a common problem, so there probably won't be a quick and easy fix. Since you've got a spare player, swapping boards is something I'd try. Is the spare player going fine?

It's also worth investigating whether the player responds to a remote control. I think this player is controlled by RC5, so many Philips / Marantz remotes will work. If you've got remotes for other Philips / Marantz CD players give them a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!