Teralink X2 clock mod. with Tentlabs XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jefery,

your pcb works with +5V (LM1084-5 output = +5V).

What would be interesting is the needed current. BTW, never ever 1A!
Measure the current. If it is under 80mA, you could use the Tentlab plugin shunt.
If it´s more, you could use quanghao´s Salas shunt here.

I am sure Guido Tent ships also to Taiwan ;)

Hi Oliver, I am using a 12V-1A adaptor for this board at present , the sound quality is very good, I am also sure if I swap the TXCO to Tentlab as you did, sound quality will be much much better, BUT......I am a electronic idiot, I can do a little modification, for example, swap the OP-amp , but if talk about voltage or current, I would rather hang myself....:D

Oliver, Another question please, my USB sound card is Musiland 01USD, I think if the Teralink X2(before your modification) is better than 01USD, the only reason will be the Teradak TXCO, since I already have a the DSIX board with a better TXCO, do you think I still need to replace 01USD with Teralink X2?

Thanks again.

Jeffery,

because i don´t know the Musiland, i couldn´t answer this question.
Perhaps some other members do this comparison.

Best,
Oliver

Oliver,

I have google some forum, some people think Musiland 01USD is better, some people think Teralink X2 is better, what I think is the Teralink X2 you midified is definitely better. :)

There will be a new USB soundcard of Musiland come out in next few months, it is much better than 01USD, 01USD use 50.000-gate FPGA, 01PSD use 250,000-gate FPGA, same as RME9632.

By the way, Oliver, I saw your flag, you are German, so can I ask you a question about a German audio product via PM?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Additional modification added

As posted before, i canceled the original TCXO LC onboard filter in the +5V line,
because the Tentlab XO had it´s own at the socket.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2nd modification is the I2S Buffer-IC.

I change the 74HC125 (tPD: 8ns) to the ~53% faster 74VHC125 (tPD: 3.8ns).
This will reduce the added jitter of the Buffer-IC.

At desoldering, i unhitch two solder pads... :eek: What a work to fix this problem!

This is no work for rookies ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So let´s power up and listen again :p

:cheers:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last modification added

Now my last modification is done.
The X2 get´s now the 2nd Salas shunt regulator for the 3.3V line.
Therefore the onboard 3.3V reg. and the 100µF cap on it´s output is canceled.

The +5V salas shunt reg goes directly to the downlink side of the USB-Isolator and from there over the USB connector into the X2.

Here you see the shunt modules. The upper one for the +5V line (USB-Isolator downlink & X2), the lower one for the 3.3V line (X2 Tenor chip).

:cheers:

Jesus Christ... :eek: ...What an improvement!
That kicks me out of my chair :cloud9:

My recommendation:
Never, and i mean never, let the X2 play with the onboard voltage regulators,
especially the 3.3V one!

I must go back to my chair and listen again :D

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now my last modification is done....

Jesus Christ... :eek: ...What an improvement!
That kicks me out of my chair :cloud9:

My recommendation:
Never, and i mean never, let the X2 play with the onboard voltage regulators,
especially the 3.3V one!

I must go back to my chair and listen again :D

Oliver, wow, thanks for your listening impression! I'm really looking forward to applying the mods.......

Cheers Ernst

Thank's for the answer
Ok, i will follow you to make separated supply for 5Volt and 3.3Volt
BUT still using onboard Clock :)

btw
When i plug the Teralink to my USB Computer, it recognize by windows even i did not give a power to Teralink
Is this normal ? i mean, This Device can work using USB power only ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.