Axial Adjustment Screw for Revox B 226?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi out there,
I am running a Revox CD B226 since more than 20 years. Yes, people advice to throw it away but I hang on to it.

Recently the 226 refused to read CDs. After cleaning the optics and replacing the Capacitors I found out that putting some scotch tape UNDER the CD makes the machine work again.

So the bearing which holds the CD spindle at the proper height is worn out and the spindle has drille a little hole in the bearing - which is not more than a (teflon?) adjustment screw.

Does anybody know where to get a spare screw? The official dealers are out of stock as the machine is not produced any more since 15 years (at least).

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• l6.jpg
    l6.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 134
Hi Andy,
it ist the CDM 1. I already found the philips spare part number and the revox number.
Some service dealers advised to grind it down until it is all flat.

At the moment I am running the gear with a teflon disk right on top of the gear. It runs but the teflons bends because the magnet is pulling down the motor quite a bit.

I have never, ever needed to replace that thrust bearing 'screw'. All that's ever needed on these is a bit of added grease(sometimes) and simple turning in of the screw to compensate for the height lost by wear. So, just a 'turn of the screw' the right amount will fix the problem for the next decade or two, if done to the proper setting. This is best acheived by playing a cd(or cd-r even better) while observing the 'rf' or 'eye pattern' from the laser, and shooting for highest amplitude & clearest waveform on several different discs. Just don't forget to add a bit of glue as original to keep the thing from turning itself.

So, just a 'turn of the screw' the right amount will fix the problem for the next decade or two, if done to the proper setting. This is best acheived by playing a cd(or cd-r even better) while observing the 'rf' or 'eye pattern' from the laser, and shooting for highest amplitude & clearest waveform on several different discs. Just don't forget to add a bit of glue as original to keep the thing from turning itself.

The problem with cranking the screw is that the already existing hole is off-axis. So turning the screw will shift the lower position of the axis. Together with the little hole there will be forces rectangular to the axis - increasing the wear on the upper bearing and tilting the CD as a whole.

If there was not that hole already your advice with the turning would be wonderful.

Maybe you are right one should not make a too big a problem out of it...

I found an instruction for re-doing the drive. The words are in German but the pictures are large and detailled. Note that they claim NOT to put lubrication either on the bottom point nor to the upper bearing close to the cd. I am not sure if I want to leave the lub away.

http://www.nanocamp.de/works/cd-antrieb/

I like the way they make sure that the bearing is flat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.