CD player jumps at 1'30 on track 1 every time - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 08:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD player jumps at 1'30 on track 1 every time

Hi I've got a Philips CD732 which i like the sound of but I've noticed it jumps once at between 1'30 and 2'00 on every CD I put in. I did open it up a few months after I got it and played around a bit with blu tack to increase rigidity but took it out again later after I noticed the skipping. I can't remember it happening before then but if you skip tracks it doesn't happen so maybe it was doing the same before that but I never noticed.

Any ideas if there's an easy solution?

Thanks, lawrence001
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Someone may have paused it for a very long time at this time, which can cause wear on the gears or sled tracks as the laser sled moves back and forth when in pause on some machines. Or you need to clean the laser carriage tracks of some debris or blutack that has stuck to the tracks.

Cheers George
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Is it a CDM12.1 or 12.4 mech like this. If so solidified grease is usually the issue. Only 100% cure is to fully dismantle the gears (two white ones in this picture), clean and wash them, remove grease from the "rack" on the pickup, reasemble and re lube with suitable plastics compatable grease. If your gears are the soft blue nylon ones the teeth were prone to damage.

It's not particularly difficult, but you have to dismantle it all to do a proper job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDM.JPG (23.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 10th January 2011, 03:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll take the cd12 mechanism apart if I can work out how to do it, not many screws in sight! Lawrence

Hide this!Advertise here!