HDD vs Flash Drive - Ripping and Playback (Split) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
akira is offline akira  France
diyAudio Member

Default HDD vs Flash Drive - Ripping and Playback (Split)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Akira,
If you have read this entire thread, I believe that you'll see that there is quite a bit of controversy on a wide variety of issues in the CD vs LP debate.
I surely have noticed that

Quote:
All I can say, without going over this entire thread, is that we've done a lot of work on this and have reached certain conclusions which I have attempted to present. If you disagree, well that's an opinion that you're entitled to, hopefully based on actual tests and listening sessions.
I am very ready to believe you ... I just cannot imagine any reason why solid state / regular HD could make any difference, provided that all bits are correcly read. Which is verified by everybody who knows a little bit in computers.
I was not saying you where wrong, I was wondering how it could be explained ... that's all. I am at least as much interested in understanding WHY a system sounds better that finding which one is better. When you understand why, you can improve ... otherwise the search is more a random one, isn't it ?
Old 18th November 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira View Post
I just cannot imagine any reason why solid state / regular HD could make any difference, provided that all bits are correcly read. Which is verified by everybody who knows a little bit in computers.
Understand that the assertions of sonic differences are purely anecdotal. No one (afaik) has any actual evidence from a controlled subjective test that this is actually the case.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default HDD vs Flash Drive - Ripping and Playback (Split)

This thread split from How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Quote:
I believe that SandyK has found, independently, many of these same factors that we have, regarding digital reproduction of music and it's a real shame that his opinions have been dismissed so lightly._Terry O
Hi Terry
I wouldn't be game too say too much about how ripping .wav files directly
to a Corsair Voyager GT pen causes them to sound MUCH better when the USB
+5V supply is replaced by an external, very low noise, very low impedance +5V supply .and that includes when uploaded , as well as played from the USB pen.
That would incur the wrath of Stuart and several other prominent identities here !
Hell, Stuart might even send the guys in white coats out to visit me !
Alex

P.S.
I better not mention that even saved 24/96 .flac files from Linn Records in 2008 sound so much better when re decoded to .wav files by this method either.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th November 2010, 07:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Re my previous post.
If anybody here is really adventurous, full information, including some background, is given at the attached link.
Alex

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp
Old 18th November 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Understand that the assertions of sonic differences are purely anecdotal. No one (afaik) has any actual evidence from a controlled subjective test that this is actually the case.
I believe that I mentioned in another earlier rather heated thread that there were controlled tests done at a Computer Audiophile Symposium some time back?
The results were virtually unanimous in favour of SSD over HDD.
I don't have the link, but a search in Computer Audiophile Forum should locate that report.
Alex
Old 18th November 2010, 07:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

I must be stupid because I can't find any report there on controlled testing. There was stuff about an A/B demonstration without controls. Can you help me find the "good stuff"?
Old 18th November 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I must be stupid because I can't find any report there on controlled testing. There was stuff about an A/B demonstration without controls. Can you help me find the "good stuff"?
Hi Sy
Although the many participants, including Industry members, didn't know what they were listening to, and a great deal of care was taken,
I doubt that it would meet the standards that you guys have beem demanding recently.
You could contact Chris Connaker , the founder of Computer Audiophile for indepth information as to how it was performed ?
Regards
Alex
Old 18th November 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

OK, thanks, so they weren't actually controlled tests.

Lest you hang on to that notion of "recently," double blind tests with better than 95% confidence is a basic standard in sensory research that predates any of us.
Old 18th November 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, thanks, so they weren't actually controlled tests.

Lest you hang on to that notion of "recently," double blind tests with better than 95% confidence is a basic standard in sensory research that predates any of us.
Sy
I didn't say they weren't actually controlled tests.
I do not know the details of what was done.
Ir was obviously rigorous enough to satisfy the many Industry people present.
IF you REALLY are interested, you should ask Chris Connaker for futher information before dismissing it out of hand as irrelevant ?
SandyK
Old 18th November 2010, 08:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

I will. Appreciate the clue.

But I did note which "industry people" were represented.

Hide this!Advertise here!