HDD vs Flash Drive - Ripping and Playback (Split)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Akira,
If you have read this entire thread, I believe that you'll see that there is quite a bit of controversy on a wide variety of issues in the CD vs LP debate.

I surely have noticed that ;)

All I can say, without going over this entire thread, is that we've done a lot of work on this and have reached certain conclusions which I have attempted to present. If you disagree, well that's an opinion that you're entitled to, hopefully based on actual tests and listening sessions.

I am very ready to believe you ... I just cannot imagine any reason why solid state / regular HD could make any difference, provided that all bits are correcly read. Which is verified by everybody who knows a little bit in computers.
I was not saying you where wrong, I was wondering how it could be explained ... that's all. I am at least as much interested in understanding WHY a system sounds better that finding which one is better. When you understand why, you can improve ... otherwise the search is more a random one, isn't it ?

I just cannot imagine any reason why solid state / regular HD could make any difference, provided that all bits are correcly read. Which is verified by everybody who knows a little bit in computers.

Understand that the assertions of sonic differences are purely anecdotal. No one (afaik) has any actual evidence from a controlled subjective test that this is actually the case.

:cop: This thread split from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/173663-how-better-turntable-compared-cd.html
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe that SandyK has found, independently, many of these same factors that we have, regarding digital reproduction of music and it's a real shame that his opinions have been dismissed so lightly._Terry O
Hi Terry
I wouldn't be game too say too much about how ripping .wav files directly
to a Corsair Voyager GT pen causes them to sound MUCH better when the USB
+5V supply is replaced by an external, very low noise, very low impedance +5V supply .and that includes when uploaded , as well as played from the USB pen.
That would incur the wrath of Stuart and several other prominent identities here !
Hell, Stuart might even send the guys in white coats out to visit me !:D
Alex

P.S.
I better not mention that even saved 24/96 .flac files from Linn Records in 2008 sound so much better when re decoded to .wav files by this method either.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Understand that the assertions of sonic differences are purely anecdotal. No one (afaik) has any actual evidence from a controlled subjective test that this is actually the case.

I believe that I mentioned in another earlier rather heated thread that there were controlled tests done at a Computer Audiophile Symposium some time back?
The results were virtually unanimous in favour of SSD over HDD.
I don't have the link, but a search in Computer Audiophile Forum should locate that report.
Alex

I must be stupid because I can't find any report there on controlled testing. There was stuff about an A/B demonstration without controls. Can you help me find the "good stuff"?

Hi Sy
Although the many participants, including Industry members, didn't know what they were listening to, and a great deal of care was taken,
I doubt that it would meet the standards that you guys have beem demanding recently.
You could contact Chris Connaker , the founder of Computer Audiophile for indepth information as to how it was performed ?
Regards
Alex

OK, thanks, so they weren't actually controlled tests.

Lest you hang on to that notion of "recently," double blind tests with better than 95% confidence is a basic standard in sensory research that predates any of us.

Sy
I didn't say they weren't actually controlled tests.
I do not know the details of what was done.
Ir was obviously rigorous enough to satisfy the many Industry people present.
IF you REALLY are interested, you should ask Chris Connaker for futher information before dismissing it out of hand as irrelevant ?
SandyK

sandyK: Chris was kind enough to respond quickly to me. He seems like a very smart and friendly guy.

The demonstrations were done completely sighted, no controls whatever. To his credit, although he believes that SSD gives a better sound than HDD, he freely admits that there's no good evidence to back up any claims of audible differences and that nothing they did was even vaguely scientific.

Sy
Chris is a smart and friendly guy, and it would be nice if at his next Symposium, he could organise more indepth investigations ?
There certainly are more than enough high profile CA members, including a few respected members from DIYA that don't seem to find as much time to post in DIYAudio these days, to organise something along those lines.
SandyK

Double blind, matched levels, statistically significant number of trials.

If under double blind conditions (and there are lots of formats for that) someone in an individual (as opposed to group) test can identify HDD from SSD 8 times out of 10, most skeptics would be satisfied. I certainly would be.

have not been able to do so myself, yet !

Me neither. Not that i have been trying very hard. Last time i made some copies for the car (10 years ago?) they sounded obviously inferior even to non-audiophiles. Otoh, provided the extraction has been done properly and the cd writer has a good clock, there is no obvious reason they wouldn't sound as good (or bad) as the originals. People still use cds?

Me neither. Not that i have been trying very hard. Last time i made some copies for the car (10 years ago?) they sounded obviously inferior even to non-audiophiles. Otoh, provided the extraction has been done properly and the cd writer has a good clock, there is no obvious reason they wouldn't sound as good (or bad) as the originals. People still use cds?

The worse the original is, provided that it can be ripped at all, the degree of improvement will be more noticable. This has been done so many times by so many people that it's nearly an oxymoron.

If it sounds only as good (or bad) as the original, then I would think that original is either pretty good to begin with or the technique needs to be improved.

Basically, you need to do a good rip then use EAC (or an equivalent program) to get it a perfect as you can. Then use "good" quality media, I have used "Black" discs with good results, although the more expensive gold discs are preferred by many. Finally, if you want a really good sounding copy, use an external Blu-ray burner (with a separate, highly regulated power supply if you can swing it).

I covered this back awhile ago on this thread, so if you like you do a search.

BTW: If you do a checksum, you will probably get the same results on both discs, but you will probably hear a pronounced improvement on your new copy. We have a fair number of Software Engineers in our club playing with this and they have all agreed on the improvement in most cases.

Best Regards,
TerryO

The worse the original is, provided that it can be ripped at all, the degree of improvement will be more noticable. This has been done so many times by so many people that it's nearly an oxymoron.

If it sounds only as good (or bad) as the original, then I would think that original is either pretty good to begin with or the technique needs to be improved.

Basically, you need to do a good rip then use EAC (or an equivalent program) to get it a perfect as you can. Then use "good" quality media, I have used "Black" discs with good results, although the more expensive gold discs are preferred by many. Finally, if you want a really good sounding copy, use an external Blu-ray burner (with a separate, highly regulated power supply if you can swing it).

I covered this back awhile ago on this thread, so if you like you do a search.

BTW: If you do a checksum, you will probably get the same results on both discs, but you will probably hear a pronounced improvement on your new copy. We have a fair number of Software Engineers in our club playing with this and they have all agreed on the improvement in most cases.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry O
You are spot on ! :D
An internal BR writer can also do a good job, provided that non essential PWM controlled fans etc. are disabled during the ripping process using E.A.C.
Better results will be obtained if you rip directly to non moving storage such as SSD, or a high quality USB pen such as the Corsair Voyager GT.
Even better results will be obtained if you use a high quality , low noise and low impedance, Linear PSU for the USB pen. (and most likely for the SSD also ?)
The PSU is just as important for digital as it is for high quality Analogue !
This is an area that EEs from the Dinosaur age steadfastly refuse to believe is possible. Some even believe that all competently designed amplifiers sound the same ! The same types are also unwilling to concede that the HiFace performs and sounds better when critical areas such as the 2 onboard Xtal oscillators are supplied from a decent battery supply.
There are also numerous reports of laptops' audio sounding much better when they are run off internal batteries.
SandyK

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.