Multichannel DAC for recording - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2003, 03:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Multichannel DAC for recording

Hi all

This is my first post here. I did a search and came up very much info about DAC's but i haven't found really what i searched for.
I noticed that most of you doing those DAC projects use them for cd-players and that stuff.
I am doing homerecording and since quite some time it's on my mind to buy a analog console for mix-down. Since i am recording with my computer i need a way to get out with as much as 24 channels into a mixer (that is if i plan on buying a 24 channel mixer but i guess that it's necessary to have this much channels).
So that leaves me to find a cool project which is not that big. I mean i just can't use 1u rack case for a stereo DAC. This way i would need 12 rack cases and that would be a little bit too much for the converters.
So basically i am searching for a DAC project which is small (fitting 4 or 8 channels into 1 1-2U rack case), sounds good (ok i guess that's what we all want ) and is 24bit/96khz.
The In's on the digital side should be ADAT since i haven't found any soundcards which supports up to 24 channels of SP/DIF channels.
Now since i am an absolute beginner in digital DIY things i really don't know if such a project is even realistic. That's exactly why i post here. To find out if that's do-able or if it's just too complicated and expensive. Oh and if it's do-able i am searching for the specific project and info about it.

Thanks for reading and it seems this is a very nice board with much shared knowledge.
Old 11th April 2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Did you ever find a way with this ?
Old 11th April 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

In any case an ADC can be used for recording, and a DAC for playing back.

Hide this!Advertise here!