Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Philips DCC decks - Service manuals? (DCC600)

Hi,

I've acquired a first-gen Phillips DCC machine - the DCC600. It has some minor problems, which I would like to resolve and maybe tweak it a little - so a service manual would be of great help...

Unfortunately, it seems that the technical and service documentation on this unit (and other DCC decks) is quite scarce.

A service manual for this or any Philips DCC machines would be a great help in my endeavors, and much appreciated.

Maybe a datasheet for some of the used, now discontinued ICs, like M51581FP DIR even?

Thx in advance,

Cheers!

P.S. Almost forgot, my inbox is at scorpioddmf (add the special sign here) hotmail dot com
Old 5th January 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
manxist is offline manxist  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I got my old Philips DCC 91 cassette deck out recently to see if it still worked. All seemed well when I connected it up, and to my surprise the first DCC I put in the machine played perfectly and the sound was really superb. But then I started to try some of my other DCC tapes (I have many) and found to my dissappointment that a lot of them, mostly DCC90 tapes of various makes would not play in the machine. Cleaning the tape heads brought no improvement, but curiously, the tape that I had put in the machine first of all continued to play perfectly with complete reliabilty. I investigated further some of the tapes that wouldn't play and noticed that as the tape was passing through the machine I could hear a slight high pitched whine coming from the area of the head assembly inside the machine. I examined the DCC tapes closely and found a brown deposit on the pressure pad situated behind the tape inside the head aperture of the cassette. All the other DCCs that wouldn't play had the same brown deposit on this pressure pad inside the cassette. I concluded that the problem was tape jitter disrupting the data stream coming off the tapes.

I used a cotton bud dipped in some surgical spirit and carefully cleaned the pressure pads of the "bad DCCs" and after making sure that the pads had dried thoroughly (a hairdrier was useful here) I found that it did the trick and all of the tapes now played perfectly. This tip might be useful to anyone who still uses these machines.

Hide this!Advertise here!