USB DSD DAC and ADC by ElectrArt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The kit will be released early next month if possible. He will accept orders through his web page.
The final price is not decided yet. However, he is making his efforts to keep it in the same price range of his UDA board kit.

The kit was released on last Thursday but sold out within two or three hours. Its domestic price is 22,800 JPY. The next release will be planned on the next month.

His formal announcement is available on this page;
AUDIO? FPGA?? (in Japanese)

Some bloggers are already reporting the board.

He may distribute a bare board.

Bunpei received a bare board from ElectrArt as a beta-tester and built it based on the schematic.

Please look at the picture attached below. The board is connected to his PCM2DSD converter board ( which is connected to his USB Dual Audio board).
By using this board you can listen to all the DSD sources, ranging from DSD64 to DSD512, without any commercial DAC chips!

Bunpei thinks the resultant sound is very satisfactory.

Attachments

• DSD_Principle.JPG
    DSD_Principle.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 789
very interested in the 1bit DSD 'DAC' raw PCB when ready again, I cannot find a product page.... just the analogue filter I have all other parts of the signal chain, if that goes well I may look at his USB boards, but I dont need the PCM2DSD convertor

His blog page in Japanese is;
ElectrArt?Digital Audio???
His product page;
Electrart SHOP

His "DSD Principle Board" is not shown in the product page above yet because he has not made his final decision. Only in his blog page so far.

His series includes,
1. USB Dual Audio (DDC)
2. PCM to DSD256, DSD512 converter (Delta-Sigma Modulator)
( 3. DSD Principle board (DSD filtering) )
4. TI DSD1794A DAC board compatible to 1. or 2.

yeah I looked at all the stuff in the shop, quite interesting, though at these speeds I would have hoped for better connections than jst. so its interesting stuff, but i'm mainly interested in DSD principle board. is he deciding whether to release publicly instead of holding onto the intellectual property and selling a product, or just whether or not its up to his standard?

I just notice that they also used to give away schematics and code for his digital filter FPGA, but they were then withdrawn, I presume because hes selling the intellectual property in products or has licensed it?

Last edited:
 ... but i'm mainly interested in DSD principle board. is he deciding whether to release publicly instead of holding onto the intellectual property and selling a product, or just whether or not its up to his standard?

First, he updated his schematic for the "DSD Principle board". He has given resistor values for the 8 tap FIR.

I am communicating with him by e-mails. My impressions are;
- He seems to think the board is an assembly of well-known circuits in this field. He does not intend to claim any specific his originals there.
- I have no idea how he will release the "DSD Principle board". Just a bare board or a kit with major components? Or no release?
However, if we request a release eagerly, I think he may possibly release the board with a reasonable price.

Updates on ElectrArt's boards

There were the second release of batch of PCM2DSD board this afternoon. They say it was sold out within an hour or less.

No formal announce on the first release of "DSD Principle Board" has been given yet.

Attached is a picture of "DSD Principle Board" Bunpei assembled.
(The photo was taken by Mr. Kanda.)
Bunpei guesses that ElectrArt might design the OP-amp stage of the board based on a typical schematic given on the datasheet of DSD1794A.

Attachments

• DSD_Principle_Kanda.jpg
    DSD_Principle_Kanda.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,171
DSD Principal board

ElectrArt is selling his DSD Principal board based on an order submitted through a private internet e-mail to him.

Its domestic price is 2,350 JPY + domestic postage 500 JPY = 2,850 JPY,
approximately 30 USD.

I purchased one upon a request from a heavy posting member of this forum abroad in southern hemisphere. However, he has stop responding to my attempt of private communications regarding the handling.
(I got disappointed his rude manner really.)

Therefore, I need to find a new person to sell it.
If you want the board, please contact to me not by PM of this forum but by a usual internet e-mail. My address is;
bunpei <at > ta2 <dot > so-net <do> ne <dot> jp

I request an additional cost of shipping to you based on your choice of a shipping method.

By the way, ElectrArt releases his USB Dual Audio board and PCM2DSD board monthly. However, we observe significant stampedes at the timing of order acceptances every month. I am afraid that foreign DIY users can't post their orders well actually.

Last edited:
Hi Bunpei,
I'v been looking an USB to SDIF-2,3 for a long time until finding this thread.
I have a dCS Scarlatti DAC and wish to play audio from PC. It seams this solution has chance to play DSD or PCM format audio from PC and output through SDIF-2 or 3 to dCS Scarlatti DAC. Is it possible?

Vincent from Taiwan

UDA2 (Recording Type) and AT1201 ADC

Hi, martinhr!

I will introduce the new UDA2 board with recording capability and AT1201 ADC board released by ElectrArt in the last November.

His new UDA2 board
UDA2R.jpg

has two versions, "playing-only" and "playing & recording".

The UDA2 "playing & recording" board supports a play of DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 & DSD512 formats and a recording of DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 formats by setting the board on "Bulk Transfer Mode" and using his proprietary program "PlayAudio".
UDA2 board has a word clock input and a word clock output. A word clock input is used for recording signals from an external ADC device and a word clock output can be used for synchronizing external devices.

The AT1201 ADC board
AT1201C.jpg

is a 2-channel ADC with a XLR input. Its output is TTL SDIF-2 or DSD-raw through BNC and S/PDIF (only for PCM ~192kHz). The board supports both PCM 44.1 ~ 384kHz/24bit (SDIF-2) and DSD128 & DSD256 (DSD-raw) outputs. An output format can be selected by a setting of DIP switches.
Neither any input level control nor input-level indicator is on board.
Output signals can be isolated from other circuits on the board.
You can look at its schematic.
http://fpga.cool.coocan.jp/electrart/AT1201_SCH.jpg
The board requires 4 DC power supplies, +-8V (for analog) , +6V, +6V and +5V(for TTL output).

Bunpei tried preliminary recordings of PCM 44.1kHz/16bit and DSD256. A PCM WAV format file and a DSD256 DFF format file were obtained on his PC without any problem by using PlayAudio program. His Windows PC is an i5 Ivy Bridge CPU based Windows 7 (64bit) machine.
An ASIO driver is also available though Bunpei has not tried it. A PC spec required for operations might depend on what you want to do in your system.

Bunpei

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Bunpei,

... thanks for posting about this - looks indeed very interesting :)

However, on my computer neither the link:

http://fpga.cool.coocan.jp/electrart/AT1201_SCH.jpg

or the images in your post seem to work. Also, when I try to go to the electrart webpages via a google search I get the message that "no data are received" - as if the webpage is not there ...?

Might there be another link to the UDA2 & AT1201 boards & schematic?

Best regards,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.