USB DSD DAC and ADC by ElectrArt - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 05:06 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to alexcount Send a message via Yahoo to alexcount Send a message via Skype™ to alexcount
Here is a link to Ted's reply to my post on audioasylum in the hi-rez forum http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/26/269994.html
Here is a link to ted's post in the pc-audio forum, once again amazing.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/8/80732.html

he also helped give details on a dsd optical link used by meitner on some boutique gear... here

About to post another update with pics, I was having my first problem with the clock loosing sync (afaik, i'm not the first to have this problem), so far SOLVED by using a car battery as a isolating supply to power the digital section of the ADC.
-Alex
Old 6th February 2011, 07:19 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to alexcount Send a message via Yahoo to alexcount Send a message via Skype™ to alexcount
if there is no writeup on your given sacd player, the only way to tap dsd is find the DAC ic your sacd/bluray player uses, than find the data sheet on that DAC and find which legs of that IC take DSDL DSDR and DSDBCLK and GND, than find the ic and trace the best solder point, worst case scenario you have to solder 4 legs to an IC. if you can find a repair manual for your SACD player it makes life easier....

Last edited by alexcount; 6th February 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 9th March 2011, 02:21 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Ripping SACD to PS3

Note that you can now also rip your SACDs with a PS3 running Linux: see PS3SACD.com :: View topic - SACD ripping made possible!. This does not require any new hardware.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Alex,

I make music servers and advertise on CA. I ran into your project and I'm interested in joining in on the fun. I wonder if there is way we could chat and talk about your project and some ideas I have?

My e-mail is sonorejr@gmail.com

Thanks
Jesus R

Last edited by vortecjr; 17th July 2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 4th August 2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Updates on USB DUAL AUDIO board

As this thread seems to be deserted for almost one year, I will post updates on ElectrArt's USB DUAL AUDIO(UDA) board.

Since, April, 2012, he has been releasing two versions of UDA boards,
DoP version, its domestic price is 23,500 JPY.
AUDIO? FPGA?? (In Japanese)
Click the image to open in full size.
and Standard version, its domestic price is 22,800 JPY.
AUDIO? FPGA?? (In Japanese)
(The Standard version has an identical physical appearance to that of the DoP version.)

Both versions have two modes which can be selectable by a jumper setting at a power on. One mode is "Bulk Transfer" mode and another is "Isochronous/USB Audio Class" mode. The former is his proprietary one and the latter is compatible with "USB Audio Class 2.0".
The DoP version supports "DSD Audio over PCM Frames Version 1.1".

A combination of the "Bulk Transfer" mode in the DoP version and an associated player program "PlayAudio" running on Windows supports a play of DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 DFF sources in addition to usual PCM 44.1 - 192kHz WAV sources.
On the other hand, a combination of the "Isochronous/USB Audio Class" mode and "DoP"-ready players lacks the play of DSD256.

There are many users of these boards in Japan.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:48 PM   #16
na is offline na  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi Bunpei,

Really like to know about this kit more but Google translator really isnt helping..

-This is PCM to DSD256 converter?
-Is it just plug&play ex. ES9018 dac?
-What is needed?
-Tried and proofed design? Not beta version?
-What is achieved by this?
-How about DSD high fr. rising nature, is it a problem? Or is it cutted allways good enough when PCM conversion has been done?

Thanks in advance,
na
Old 6th September 2012, 02:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The board is not "PCM to DSD256 converter" but a usual USB DDC.
I connected it to TPA Buffalo II and III models as well as TI BB PCM1795 DAC. ElectrArt distributes his original TI BB DSD1794A DAC board.
Driver software can be downloaded from his site. You need to prepare +5V power supply when you don't use USB bus power.
In Japan, hundreds of the boards were distributed to domestic DIY users so far.
Two modes can be selectable by a jumper setting at power on. One is USB Audio Class 2.0 compatible mode. Another is its original bulk transfer mode. In the both mode, you can play DSD64 and DSD128 in addition to PCM 44.1kHz/16bit - 192kHz/24bit. DoP is supported. In the bulk transfer mode, you can play DSD256(DSDIFF) sources by using a proprietary simple player program, PlayAudio. The sound qualities of DSD play are better than those of PCM play in general.
Old 10th September 2012, 07:33 PM   #18
asaf23 is offline asaf23  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Hi Bunpei,

1.Can this board receive the JRMC17 DSD bitstream of the SACD ISO or some software driver is need?
2. Does this board have any internal I2S and/or DSD outputs beside the SPDIF?

With best regards,
Andrey
Old 11th September 2012, 03:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Any word on Mac OSX drivers?

I'm looking to build 2 or more channels that capture and AD to DSD without passing through other formats first. I want to do this for music recording/mastering. A stereo pair is fine for now (mastering from live or analog sources).

Once I get this part what else do I need to do in order to start plugging in and recording? Thank you for finding this!!
Old 12th September 2012, 12:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi, Andrey and Gahlord,

I'm not an official spokesman of ElectrArt. I will explain what I know about the product here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaf23 View Post
1.Can this board receive the JRMC17 DSD bitstream of the SACD ISO or some software driver is need?
2. Does this board have any internal I2S and/or DSD outputs beside the SPDIF?
They say nothing about ASIO "genuine" DSD bitstream compatibility. They just say an ASIO driver on Windows supports up to PCM 192 kHz. DoP up to DSD128 is supported.

Yes, I2S/DSD digital output is available. I have connected it to TPA Buffalo II DAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahlord View Post
Any word on Mac OSX drivers?

I'm looking to build 2 or more channels that capture and AD to DSD without passing through other formats first. I want to do this for music recording/mastering. A stereo pair is fine for now (mastering from live or analog sources).

Once I get this part what else do I need to do in order to start plugging in and recording?
When you boot the board on USB Audio Class 2 mode, you need no special driver. The mode is said to be fully compatible to Mac OSX.

You can record DSD64 and DSD128 stereo on PC (not Mac) via USB when you connect his optional board ."PCM 4202 DSD raw" The optional recording board is manufactured on your actual order. AES balanced input connectors are on board. I guess available recording software is his proprietary and simple "PlayAudio".

Bunpei

Hide this!Advertise here!