Help needed with Sony CDp X303-ES player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2010, 04:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed with Sony CDp X303-ES player

Hi DIY fellows,

I am facing a quite irritating problem with a Sony CDP X303-Es CD player that I bought (sold as not working) : the disc tray keeps opening and closing as soon as the player is powered on. Of course it's impossible to play a CD.

As a first move I checked the switches sensing the tray position at each end : the are perfectly working.

What's next on the list ? Has anybody experienced something like this ?

The Service Manual is available here : SONY CDP X303ES SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

I suppose that if the system IC (Sony 1M3745) is playing havoc the CDP is good for a visit to the dumpster, which I'd prefer to avoid as it is absolutely mint.

Thanks for your help guys

This isn't mine but you can see it's a cool player !

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Thmartin; 30th October 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

check out the prozessor line-up without insert compact disc and open cover.

After tray closing the optical pick up (laser unit) goes shortly outside (in "end" position) and quickly back to the start position. At the same time the "inner-switch" contact for the laser unit closed. Through this was released the instruction for the processor to force the lens up and down (2x until 6x - dependend of the model)
During this upward and downward movement laser light goes on. After performing this laser light switch off.

If all this is to observe, put in cd and observe, whether cd starts to rotate.

If nevertheless no TOC reading happens, laser light is a bit too weak.

If cd don't start to rotate, laser light is out or extrem weak (or other error must be find).

KSS272A must be replace

An off-topic question: Please let me know the way for upload your photos (images).
I wonder to see your pictures without log-in and don't know the reason - thank you for your advice.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 2nd November 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
check out the prozessor line-up without insert compact disc and open cover.

After tray closing the optical pick up (laser unit) goes shortly outside (in "end" position) and quickly back to the start position. At the same time the "inner-switch" contact for the laser unit closed. Through this was released the instruction for the processor to force the lens up and down (2x until 6x - dependend of the model)
During this upward and downward movement laser light goes on. After performing this laser light switch off.

If all this is to observe, put in cd and observe, whether cd starts to rotate.

If nevertheless no TOC reading happens, laser light is a bit too weak.

If cd don't start to rotate, laser light is out or extrem weak (or other error must be find).

KSS272A must be replace

An off-topic question: Please let me know the way for upload your photos (images).
I wonder to see your pictures without log-in and don't know the reason - thank you for your advice.
Thanks a lot for your input !

In fact the CD lens does not move at all. The tray just keeps going in and out. As soon it has reached the closed position it goes back outwards. In my opinion the lens is just not even given the order to read the TOC. There is probably somthing wrong with data sent to processor about tray travel. The CD doesnt start rotating.

Thierry
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default button problem?

Maybe the open/close button actuator or signal is stuck in the "actuated" position, as if you were holding down the button. Did you try to disconnecting the wires leading to the button?

Not sure, this is just an idea that popped into my head that could explain this behavior.

Nice unit BTW.

-Charlie
Old 3rd November 2010, 04:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Maybe the open/close button actuator or signal is stuck in the "actuated" position, as if you were holding down the button. Did you try to disconnecting the wires leading to the button?

Not sure, this is just an idea that popped into my head that could explain this behavior.

Nice unit BTW.

-Charlie
Mmhhh that's a good idea ! Let me try that and I'll be back for reporting.

Thanks !
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:57 AM   #6
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Maybe a long shot but try changing the drawer belt. I had a similar issue with an older Sony CDP and a belt changed fixed it. Maybe the drawer didn't go in far enough to trip the limit switch due to the slipping belt so it kept popping back out again. I also have bent the limit switch legs on some Sony CDP to allow the drawer to stay in.
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
Maybe a long shot but try changing the drawer belt. I had a similar issue with an older Sony CDP and a belt changed fixed it. Maybe the drawer didn't go in far enough to trip the limit switch due to the slipping belt so it kept popping back out again. I also have bent the limit switch legs on some Sony CDP to allow the drawer to stay in.
Boing ! Thanks for that one !

Indeed I noticed that the belt is greasy and it slips in the motor's pulley

Also, the motor keeps turning although the tray is in closed or open position.

Maybe there is a kind of motor load sensing circuitry and as far as the motor's load hasn't changed it considers that the tray travel isn't finished ? Recently I have fixed a Revox B225 wich had exactly the same problem, no belts in the Revox but the current sensing was faulty because of a dead capacitor and the tray was keeping going in and out forever.

I will clean dry the belt and the pulleys and let you know.

Thanks to you guys for putting me on the right tracks

Thierry

Last edited by Thmartin; 3rd November 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 4th November 2010, 07:15 AM   #8
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

These belts can stretch or if not used for a long time get a little kink where it's been sitting around the motor pulley so the belt can slip at that point. I'm not sure if the motor has some load sensing but a slipping belt tends to not allow it to trip the limit switch.

A 1.6mm square x 37.3 diameter belt seems to suit all the older Sony CD players I have.

Also check if the drawer runs freely. I had a CDP-X55ES here where a service centre had greased the geared rack (underneath) with automotive grease which caused it to be sticky and took a lot to clean it all out. These run without any lubricant.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

From my own personal experience with this Sony player . I had the exact problem that was drving me crazy. I tried ALL the efforts previously mentioned. Checked all micro switches , cables , motors ,belts. I was able to get the player to work with a 6 pole toggle switch between the drawer motor and servo board. The end of the story was that the servo board attached to the laser has a non fuctioning ic. I finally found a trashed Sony player(don't recall the model , but later one) with the same transport assembly. I swapped the board , and it's currently working properly. The 'new' board has some additional circuitry attached to it , so I think a rework was done by Sony. Hope that helps

Last edited by homemade; 4th November 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 6th November 2010, 02:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade View Post
From my own personal experience with this Sony player . I had the exact problem that was drving me crazy. I tried ALL the efforts previously mentioned. Checked all micro switches , cables , motors ,belts. I was able to get the player to work with a 6 pole toggle switch between the drawer motor and servo board. The end of the story was that the servo board attached to the laser has a non fuctioning ic. I finally found a trashed Sony player(don't recall the model , but later one) with the same transport assembly. I swapped the board , and it's currently working properly. The 'new' board has some additional circuitry attached to it , so I think a rework was done by Sony. Hope that helps
I guess you are spot on with the IC issue. I cleaned dead dry the greasy belt and pinions (see pictures) but no joy

I suppose I will either try to find a compatible board as you did (if I am VERY lucky) or tear the player down to pieces, sell the salvageable parts and put the rest into the bin. The KSS seems to be good, I could see the red beam from the working laser.

Shame as it's such a nice player when used as a drive

Hide this!Advertise here!