recommended DAC for 1st project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built several other DIY things amps and speakers mainly and am interested in building a DAC. Some of the designs look fairly simple to construct tho and some much more complex, this is mainly due to the surface mount seen in a few. However what would you recommend I try for a 1st time DAC project and what is the quality like, i'd be interested in a DAC to replace my TEAC D1 which altho sounds good is a bit long in the tooth and im sure can be improved upon significantly(thinking Chord Choral) . What should I expect out of a DIY DAC. I've been surprised on the amp and speakers side of things on how much better they sound then what I used before so I dont see why a DAC should be any different.

This DAC http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17472
looks as simple as things could get but what would it sound like??? and how complicated would a project have to get to rival a £2000 commercial like the Chord or something completely out there like the dCS Elgar.

But what do I know I see digital as an entirely different ball park, maybe its not.

Anyway cheers for any input, advice Matt

Hi,

First, I would like to say that you can build the DAC I have posted for as little as $100. I would not say that it can beat those "High-End" DAC. However, for this $100 DAC, I 'm sure you can get the sound far beyond what you have spent. ;)

DIY can give you the joy of building your own equipment that suit your own taste. Different components will give you different sound even on the same circuit.

If you need more info about building DAC, feel free to post here. I (I think other buddies here too) will try to give out their ideas here.

Cheers :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.