SACD ripping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SACD ripping

I just found the easily obtainable albums for 2 artists I like are only available on SACD, unless I learn a bit more Chinese. Digging a bit more and I find out it is a proprietry format and worse still encrypted meaning that when the manufacturer goes belly up or stops supporting it my music turns to junk due to a lack of player. Is there any easy way to rip it or would I be better learning some more Chinese and buying the CD's from China.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Im not aware of any tool that would let you rip SACDs, but most SACDs Ive seen so far
are "Hybrid Layer" which means they contain a CD layer too (playable on a regular CD player and can be ripped as such of course).
Drawback is you will pay "SACD" and get "CD" unless you play it on a SACD player.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks that explains the hybr designation in the music description CD quality is fine at least they are usable.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
okkyn is offline okkyn  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Some modified SACD player (like Oppo) can output digital PCM 24 bit/96 kHz through HDMI. Try google "HiResOrNothing"
Old 26th October 2010, 12:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually the Oppo players (at least the dvd players, not sure about the Blu Ray) convert DSD to 88.2K pcm when playing over hdmi. If you get an 'Atlona Hdmi de-embedder', it will pull the pcm data off of the HDMI feed and send it out via toslink which you can then record on your PC. It's a manual process, but it works. The Selah Audio/AVA room at RMAF was using this device and reported that it worked well.
There are other ways to mod gear to get up to 176k pcm from DSD, but those are pretty pricey.
Old 29th October 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Same with old PS3 ("fat") units. They output the SACD to HDMI @ 176?6khz (at very high quality - there's a story out there on the net about the guys who wrote the conversion code) - a HDMI to SPDIF solution will allow you to make a WAV out of it...

Hide this!Advertise here!