Philips CDM1- MKII Radial Motor problem... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Philips CDM1- MKII Radial Motor problem...

This is in a Philips CD880, it will not read the TOC. I have been working on this for quite some time and am fairly sure the problem is that the radial motor is not functioning. Any advice as to where to look for faults welcome! I am aware of the 33uf cap issue and have replaced that. Hoping that the actual motor isn't kaput, which is the power source to this? also on the laser itself (which moves up/down but not laterally) there is a cover missing, alongside the lens, would that effect its operation? I can see the red laser light by the way. Anyone come across this exact problem with the lack of lateral movement? thanks in advance for your help.
Old 17th October 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The radial motor is the swing arm coil itself. If the arm jumps to the innermost position at power up and you cannot move it by hand, it is OK. The drive circuit is a push-pull DC power amplifier on the servo control board.
Old 17th October 2010, 02:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the arm is limp, it is at the innermost position but does not move of its own accord at all; it you move it by hand it returns to the inner position. I have seen a working CDM1 MKII in an ARCAM Transport and the laser wiggles side to side as it looks for the TOC

Last edited by dynoPort; 17th October 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 17th October 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Not all players wobble the radial arm laterally while trying to focus. None of the players I have using similar servo chipsets do this, they only move the objective lens. I would only expect to see this behavior in some of my newer CDM-4 based players. The arm being weak is normal, that's why it's so important that the bearings are properly lubricated.

Quote:
.... it you move it by hand it returns to the inner position.
So do you mean it actively returns, or is the very inside its rest position (where it sits when the player has no power)?

Quote:
.... there is a cover missing, alongside the lens ....
Do you mean the black plastic cover that usually surrounds the lens? Most CDM-1 Mk2s don't have this from new, don't worry about it.

I suggest you put this player into service mode. It the first service mode (SM0) you can force the arm to move back and forth using the search keys, this will tell you conclusively whether or not the radial motor is working. Also, you can get the player to display an error code. This will let you know whether the player is failing to focus or failing to read a ToC, two very different things.

The CD880 is a nice player, I hope you get it fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD880 SMa.jpg (115.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CD880 SMb.jpg (91.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 17th October 2010, 11:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So do you mean it actively returns, or is the very inside its rest position (where it sits when the player has no power)?

the latter, there seems to be a balance bias to the centre position. I'll try some of the test I didn't know about tomorrow. I got an error 02 doing something

thanks
Old 18th October 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

done the test, radial motor moves, ERR02 shows which is focus problem?
does that mean I will have to turn the small pots I have been warned not to?
Old 19th October 2010, 12:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Does the action of the focus lens look okay? Have a look at it (not from directly above though) without a disc in, it should bob up and down smoothly.

To be honest though, the first thing I'd do to this player is replace every electrolytic capacitor. This may or may not fix your problem, but this player is worth the effort, and I don't like troubleshooting a player which I know has bad components scattered through it (all of the electrolytic capacitors in the player will be degraded by now).
Old 19th October 2010, 07:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post
Does the action of the focus lens look okay? Have a look at it (not from directly above though) without a disc in, it should bob up and down smoothly.

To be honest though, the first thing I'd do to this player is replace every electrolytic capacitor. This may or may not fix your problem, but this player is worth the effort, and I don't like troubleshooting a player which I know has bad components scattered through it (all of the electrolytic capacitors in the player will be degraded by now).
I have replaced MOST of them except the cerafine which I don't want to do until I get it working
Old 19th October 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

and yes... the lens moves up/down properly by the looks of it
Old 20th October 2010, 02:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

What is the voltage across test points 1 and 2 when it's trying to read a CD?

If you've got another Philips player using the same type of servo PCB, now is the time to swap them to localise the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!