Philips CDM1- MKII Radial Motor problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is in a Philips CD880, it will not read the TOC. I have been working on this for quite some time and am fairly sure the problem is that the radial motor is not functioning. Any advice as to where to look for faults welcome! I am aware of the 33uf cap issue and have replaced that. Hoping that the actual motor isn't kaput, which is the power source to this? also on the laser itself (which moves up/down but not laterally) there is a cover missing, alongside the lens, would that effect its operation? I can see the red laser light by the way. Anyone come across this exact problem with the lack of lateral movement? thanks in advance for your help.

the arm is limp, it is at the innermost position but does not move of its own accord at all; it you move it by hand it returns to the inner position. I have seen a working CDM1 MKII in an ARCAM Transport and the laser wiggles side to side as it looks for the TOC

Last edited:
Not all players wobble the radial arm laterally while trying to focus. None of the players I have using similar servo chipsets do this, they only move the objective lens. I would only expect to see this behavior in some of my newer CDM-4 based players. The arm being weak is normal, that's why it's so important that the bearings are properly lubricated.

.... it you move it by hand it returns to the inner position.

So do you mean it actively returns, or is the very inside its rest position (where it sits when the player has no power)?

.... there is a cover missing, alongside the lens ....

Do you mean the black plastic cover that usually surrounds the lens? Most CDM-1 Mk2s don't have this from new, don't worry about it.

I suggest you put this player into service mode. It the first service mode (SM0) you can force the arm to move back and forth using the search keys, this will tell you conclusively whether or not the radial motor is working. Also, you can get the player to display an error code. This will let you know whether the player is failing to focus or failing to read a ToC, two very different things.

The CD880 is a nice player, I hope you get it fixed.

Attachments

• CD880 SMa.jpg
    CD880 SMa.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 415
  • CD880 SMb.jpg
    CD880 SMb.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 362
So do you mean it actively returns, or is the very inside its rest position (where it sits when the player has no power)?

the latter, there seems to be a balance bias to the centre position. I'll try some of the test I didn't know about tomorrow. I got an error 02 doing something:confused:

thanks

Does the action of the focus lens look okay? Have a look at it (not from directly above though) without a disc in, it should bob up and down smoothly.

To be honest though, the first thing I'd do to this player is replace every electrolytic capacitor. This may or may not fix your problem, but this player is worth the effort, and I don't like troubleshooting a player which I know has bad components scattered through it (all of the electrolytic capacitors in the player will be degraded by now).

Does the action of the focus lens look okay? Have a look at it (not from directly above though) without a disc in, it should bob up and down smoothly.

To be honest though, the first thing I'd do to this player is replace every electrolytic capacitor. This may or may not fix your problem, but this player is worth the effort, and I don't like troubleshooting a player which I know has bad components scattered through it (all of the electrolytic capacitors in the player will be degraded by now).

I have replaced MOST of them except the cerafine which I don't want to do until I get it working

Does the spindle moter spin? I had one with same symptoms & but spindle moter doid not spin & the problem ended up being the spindle motor PCB board itself(small board above larger CDM board). You can buy a used cdmII (& take motor off that if this happens to be case) they are much less expensive than buying a CDM1MKII..

Does the spindle moter spin? I had one with same symptoms & but spindle moter doid not spin & the problem ended up being the spindle motor PCB board itself(small board above larger CDM board). You can buy a used cdmII (& take motor off that if this happens to be case) they are much less expensive than buying a CDM1MKII..

spindle turns fine. I'm out of ideas!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.