CD PRO malfunction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2010, 12:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD PRO malfunction

My four year old Philips CD PRO stopped reading TOC after a month or so of inactivity. I could find no help on the WWW so I took it to bits and cleaned the sled rails and laser lens. No improvement. It looked as if the laser had died so 250 Euros for a new transport - not very good for a high-end unit legendary for its solidity.
With nothing to lose I gave the lens/laser assembly a vigorous poking with the blunt end of a pencil.
Result - works perfectly. Presumably dust or grit had got into the works and jammed the focus mechanism - but even before poking the laser assembly did a vigorous up + down when the lid closed switch was operated without a disc in place. Anyway a happy ending. Any explanations from officianados ?

Hide this!Advertise here!