Netgear EVA700 - What can I do with it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Netgear EVA 700 - this product has been abandoned by Netgear - so no firmware updates.

The product is pretty useless really - it's very flaky.

So...

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what use I could put it to?

Ideas anyone?

I don't have much info about it's internals (I haven't looked yet!) but once I know more I will post them.

I have a sneaking feeling that the only thing I could possibly do is some new firmware - but that's unlikely. I believe the unit was based on a Syabas product.

Full specification is here.

Here's an image:

netgear-eva700-india.jpg

Some internal images

Here's some internal images with more detail.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what else this could be used for?

Seems a waste to just throw it away, if only I could put it to better use!

I have no idea if it could run Linux (or some other embedded O/S)..

CPU (Sigma designs EM8620L-LF) "Media Processor"

cpu.jpg

Main PCB with wireless module

main-pcb.jpg

PSU

psu.jpg

Hi Tony, old thread but did you end up getting any joy from the EVA7000?
I've been using an 8000 as a streamer in my son's room and it works OK. I've got 9000 with a built in HD and it works well. I would like to upgrade some of the components ( caps, diodes, etc) but as you say, Netgear are not exactly a supporter of open source! Let me know, Ben

Hi Ben,

I did absolutely nothing with it.

I was in fact tidying up my store room just this week, and I dug it out with the intention of bringing it downstairs to have a fiddle.

Needless to say, it's still sat in the store room doorway, awaiting my attention!!!

It's such a pity that Netgear have not released the code for this - I'm sure it could be put to better use!

Cheers,
Tony.

Lol! I know the problem. I have far too many unfinished items. I think they are worth looking at if only because of the depth of files they play. On a hard wired lan, flac plays well from my music server. I recently bought one of Hifimediy's 'toy' dac's, and it's a tough call between the two. Both have relatively noisy psu's, so I'm giving non switching options a bit of thought. The latest version of the dac has usb isolation, so maybe I'll buy one of these...at 50 quid delivered it's a bit of a bargain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.