Marantz CD-5003 Mod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD-5003 Mod

I was searching the forum and couldn't find anything specific to this CD player that I have. If I want to mod this player, where do I start?

I used to have a Philip player and I replaced some of the Op amp and installed independent power supply for the analog output stage. The sound was great until the laser became too weak to play the disc properly.

Does CD-5003 shares same circuit with other Marantz player that I use?
Old 7th October 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Biggest gains I find come from careful swapping of opamps (depending what's already there of course) and also careful application of decoupling across the supply pins of the IC itself.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Biggest gains I find come from careful swapping of opamps (depending what's already there of course) and also careful application of decoupling across the supply pins of the IC itself.
Thks for replying. That's what I did on my previous player but I am somewhat unfamiliar with Marantz layout.
Old 8th March 2012, 06:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

i had this player, in 2009, i modif this unit and unfortunately i made mistake and the laser optic cannot read TOC, now i had service manual in hand.
Very easy to make this unit to be high end piece. Any interest ??

And this unit sing again now, .....
Old 21st April 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Marantz cd 5003 pcb, divided into 3 section ( excluded display )
From photo, A, psu, B center digital control and C right DAC and analog buffer.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

First step, change capacitor in digital section ( center pcb ).
U=microcontroller chips plus memory
D=transport,optic control.
r1=kia 1117 -3.3 regulator 3.3v for transport
r2=regulator 1.5v fot transport
r3=reg 1.8v for main clock.

change kia regulator to lms1587csx, LDO
change capacitor for digital supply with sanyo oscon.
change capacitor for mixed analog/digital with Elna or Panasonic FC.
cover digital chips with rfi shield.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

PSU modification, basicaly, to make better regulation and lower noise.
1. change rectifier diode from standard 1N4001 to schotky diode
2. change standard voltage regulator from LM78XX
=supply +5V for digital supply--to tracking pre regulator LMS1587csx
=supply +8v for motor etc--LM317
=supply analog +-12 volt to LM317/337.

still using existing heatsink.

point to point soldering, output voltage can be set by fixed resistor.

If your modification is done step by step, you can learn how much improvement per step modification.

up to now, i pleased with sonic improvement, with cheap parts.....
Old 21st April 2012, 05:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

AT photo above, original capacitor is above heatsink, still using original, not audio grade, and after regulator, using National standard capacitor like NHG.

Capacitor to bypass "trimer resistor" using cheap one, available in hand. No Black Gate, i cannot afford the price.

From "digital" pcb to "dac buffer" connected with wire, with notexxxx,GND,LRCK,SCLK,SDATA,RST,GND.

CS4392 is singing musical and very good dac, but because i had cs4397, For next step i plan to using it as dac.
Old 24th September 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi people!
After various mods in my CD5003 (regulation caps, digital caps, diodes, decoupling audio path caps, opamps etc...) I've decided to try the clock mod. I've designed an smd version of the famous diy kwak clock 7 with LVCMOS 1.8V output. This to feed the pll CDCE913 from the pin1, called XIN/CLK.
Ok, it works but there is an issue: randomly, i hear some clicks while playing the music. I've contacted Elso Kwak and he suggested that I can't use my kwak clock in my CD5003 :-( this because the input pin is selectable as Xin or CLK and the two things are different. This is true because after some research I've found similar things on the Texas Instruments forum, but... Why? what is the difference? Maybe I can find a solution... I don't want to bypass the CDCE913 because it's involved in the pitch function and could be bypassed.
Old 1st January 2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelino View Post
Hi people!
After various mods in my CD5003 (regulation caps, digital caps, diodes, decoupling audio path caps, opamps etc...) I've decided to try the clock mod. I've designed an smd version of the famous diy kwak clock 7 with LVCMOS 1.8V output. This to feed the pll CDCE913 from the pin1, called XIN/CLK.
Ok, it works but there is an issue: randomly, i hear some clicks while playing the music. I've contacted Elso Kwak and he suggested that I can't use my kwak clock in my CD5003 :-( this because the input pin is selectable as Xin or CLK and the two things are different. This is true because after some research I've found similar things on the Texas Instruments forum, but... Why? what is the difference? Maybe I can find a solution... I don't want to bypass the CDCE913 because it's involved in the pitch function and could be bypassed.
Hi!
I have this cd player for about two years now and planning to make some modification. As you made several changes in the player, could you share explicitly what did you do and what is your experience? Like what
capacitors or op amps you used? If you can upload some pictures then it will be great.

Thanks and regards
Roushon.

Hide this!Advertise here!