TEAC VRDS10 has developed a problem : Need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Friends,
My TEAC VRDS10 has developed a problem:

- CD is being read and display is okay
- Playing tracks is also fine

But when I try to Eject the CD, I hear a motor sound and the drawer does not open. If Power Off the CD player and Power it back ON, the CD is again being read successfully and being played successfully. But Eject does not get the drawer out !!

I tried opening the top cover and examining the transport, I see that the CD is not being released from the clamping disc hence it is not ready to come out. If I try to push the CD down with a mild force to release the CD, the drawer opens along with the CD !!

At this point I can load another CD and play it successfully but Ejecting it will again bring up the same issue.

When there is no CD in the tray, I press "Open" to eject the drawer, I again hear the same motor sound and the drawer does NOT open. At this point when I check the mechanism, I see that the clamping disc is very rigid, it is not rotating freely.

I do not know what could be the issue. The Lens seems to be okay, the drawer motor is also okay since it works when the CD is released successfully by the clamping disc. The problem seems to be somewhere in the disc clamping mechanism which is not releasing the disc correctly. This is just a guess. I am not a techie.

Today I will try to spin a lens cleaning CD and see if it does anything good, hopes are less though.

What should be my approach at this point ? Does it require an expert to handle this situation ? I do not have the expertise in electronics but I can definitely do some basic mechanical fiddling if I get the direction.
Do I need to open up anything in special and check it ?

By any chance does it require some expert with accurate TEAC manuals to fix this issue ? I am pretty confused at this point:(.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Assuming it is that, then a new belt... it might be a temporary fix to clean it with iso etc.

Take the belt off and measure it, and get a new one that's a couple of millimeters smaller... no more, and check whether it's a round or square profile although usually any will work OK and get one at least as thick.

Mooly, I need a little more info.
What is the function of the loading motor ? Can I replace the belt without opening the assembly, meaning just by accessing the belt from the top ?

Today, I did try to look into it. Astonishingly for sometime the CDP started working fine but later the same problem appeared again. There was no CD in drawer, when I pressed "Open" to get the drawer out, the drawer does not open, I hear the same motor noise again. I see that the Laser does not move at all. The laser remains stationary at the end of the rails. Even when I switch off the CDP and switch it back on, the laser does not move (in normal condition, it moves towards the disc and attempts to read) at all, I only hear the motor noise and thats it. Drawer remains shut. This was not the case till yesterday, the laser always moved and read the CD (if there was one). What is it that controls the laser movement ? Is it also due to loading issue ?

Now that the drawer does not open, I am unable to access the loading belt also. I will have to open up the drawer mechanism altogether to access the belt. I tried opening the drawer manually but it seems locked, it does not open manually also. Is there a lock which I can release to open the drawer ?

I know there are too many questions in my post. Please bear with me.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's very difficult without actually having the player in front of me, but all players are very similar.

You are going to have to dismantle the thing a little to see what's going on. Also looking again at the picture, on the left hand side is what looks to be another small motor and belt (hard to make out... dark).

The loading motor would normally operate to lift the whole mechanism up to meet the disc (the mech is usually hinged at the rear and "front" raised or lowered). Often that motot also operates the tray, but having seen what looks like the other small motor it appears that is performed separately... and if so then that belt to could be the problem.

If the loading motor is unable to fully lock the mech in either position the logic prevents the tray opening, also if the tray fails to lock then the logic stops further operation.
There are usually microswitches (leaf switches) to detect the position of the various parts.

From the pictures, you are going to have to remove the "top" plate where the "loose" disc clamp is. Then see if the tray will come out easily... it will do but without having the player in front of me I can't give exact instructions.

It might be easier to get the machine with the tray already open and then disconnect the power and work on it.

The laser won't normally move untill all the mechanical items (tray etc) are detected as being in the correct positions.

Mooly, I did some more analysis in the lines you have mentioned. You were pretty spot on, it indeed is the loading mechanism which is the problem. During loading and unloading 7 out of 10 times the mechanism is not reaching the exact location and that is why the laser is not getting engaged or the drawer is not opening. And since 3 out of 10 times it is working, it is pretty much the belt which is not maintaining the accuracy. I will try to get it replaced. THANKS A LOT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.