DC Offset in Oppo DV-981HD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've been toying around with an op-amp based head amp that I've put together and hooked it up to my Oppo player. I measured 16 mV DC offset at full volume from the analog audio outputs...yow...and followed it upstream to the Oppo player. On one channel I have 12.5 mV DC and on the other, 12.8 mV DC. Doesn't this seem awfully high for a modern disc player???:confused:

Anyone else with an Oppo have the same amount of offset?

I've been toying around with an op-amp based head amp that I've put together and hooked it up to my Oppo player. I measured 16 mV DC offset at full volume from the analog audio outputs...yow...and followed it upstream to the Oppo player. On one channel I have 12.5 mV DC and on the other, 12.8 mV DC. Doesn't this seem awfully high for a modern disc player???:confused:

Anyone else with an Oppo have the same amount of offset?

Sonidos
Are you using "Mixed L and R" ?

I normally don't use Analogue Out from mine, as after sound deadening material combined with replacement of the SMPS bridge rectifier diodes with BYV26C, and a 100nF 630V across the main electro , it sounds noticeably better via SPDIF. In fact, even Video via HDMI to a friend's 1280 projector was then also markedly improved. (glossier looking picture)
My friend then did the same with his 981HD.
I just tried mine, and although it started off at several mV, it dropped to
0mV after several seconds, indicating that it is via electrolytic capacitors.
SandyK

Joined 2007
Paid Member
SandyK,

I'll have to check my settings with regards to Mixed L & R, but the offset is constant...it doesn't go to 0.

Thanks for the tips on the mods and checking your Oppo. I don't normally use the Oppo in the way that I mentioned but I was surprised to see that much offset on both outputs, so something is not right.

Sonidos
Did you realise that you have digital volume control via SPDIF if HDMI is not enabled?
SandyK

P.S.
A quick look seems to suggest that there are 3 dual I.C.s followed by 6 x 47uF16V electros, then a muting transistor for each output.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.