toploader conversion & chassis project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default toploader conversion & chassis project

hello all - I'm thinking of rebuilding my transport - a Pioneer dv656a (fully modded by the excellent Dan Wright of Modwright fame), converting it to a toploader (possibly remounting/suspending the mech itself on some kind of subchassis) and making a really nice non resonant main chassis (I'm thinking possibly a combination of copper and ebony with a perspex saucepan style lid...) - I have access to excellent cabinetmaking and metalworking/small scale engineering facilities, and I'm looking for any info/threads/postings that anyone has come across that may help me develop some working drawings without reinventing the wheel - any/all input greatly appreciated. M
Old 21st September 2010, 04:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
hello all - I'm thinking of rebuilding my transport - a Pioneer dv656a (fully modded by the excellent Dan Wright of Modwright fame), converting it to a toploader (possibly remounting/suspending the mech itself on some kind of subchassis) and making a really nice non resonant main chassis (I'm thinking possibly a combination of copper and ebony with a perspex saucepan style lid...) - I have access to excellent cabinetmaking and metalworking/small scale engineering facilities, and I'm looking for any info/threads/postings that anyone has come across that may help me develop some working drawings without reinventing the wheel - any/all input greatly appreciated. M
Top loader as in the disc will enter the top vs sliding in the side but still be horizontal? I wouldn't change the axis of the machine because you may irritate different servo systems. Focus is vertical axis while sled motion is horizontal and while the tracking servo is also horizontal, it is 90 degrees rotated from the sled motion. IOW you have things operating in all 3 dimensions and they may not be 'happy' if you change the orientation.

G
Old 21st September 2010, 04:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
Top loader as in the disc will enter the top vs sliding in the side but still be horizontal? I wouldn't change the axis of the machine because you may irritate different servo systems. Focus is vertical axis while sled motion is horizontal and while the tracking servo is also horizontal, it is 90 degrees rotated from the sled motion. IOW you have things operating in all 3 dimensions and they may not be 'happy' if you change the orientation.

I wouldn't be too concerned about anti-resonant mount unless you expect to be vibrating it pretty hard. As long as the servos and PLLs remain locked, it shouldn't affect playback. Once the data is in the descrambling RAM you're pretty safe.

G
Old 21st September 2010, 07:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for your reply
Orientation would remain the same - i wish to dispense with the tray loader & associated plastic crud and place the disc in directly from above - i am absolutely concerned about anti resonant mounts: the difference a home made air suspended shelf made (kind of DIY townsend seismic sink) was astonishing - my intention is to overengineer every element of the chassis to reduce vibration as much as possible - surely someone must have done something similar and posted the results somewhere...
Old 21st September 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
ide2003 is offline ide2003  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi there, may I humbly suggesting you this one?, out of my own experience

Good Design Bad Design and DIY: Sony CDP950 hardware mod-wooden transport

Happy DIY
TeguhPS
Old 21st September 2010, 10:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Excellent project - I particularly like the wooden "plinth" idea - you appear to have dispensed with the CD puck altogether, which I don't think will work with the Pioneer mech - luckily a have several spare unmodded machines, one of with I am going to start experimenting with this weekend
Old 22nd September 2010, 03:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, the reason of separate puck is that the original tray was total loss (puck & spindle table are from old blaupunkt car CDP cartridge by the way..)
you know, I still have some ideas but those are not applicable with original casing.
Maybe for next project with new diy casing . I like the idea of Roxan's turntable - heavy plates suspended by rubber band. In our case maybe a thick plate of aluminum or natural soft stone..who knows...

can you please post some photo's of your pioneer mech?

thanks
TeguhPS
Old 22nd September 2010, 04:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

sorry, I meant this one, not Roksan (a typo there), a SME
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p.../turntable.jpg

regards
TeguhPS
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

will try to post some pictures of mech in various stages of undress when i dismantle it at the weekend - thanks for your interest & suggestions - some sort of suspension derived from the SME system looks like an excellent idea
Old 25th September 2010, 04:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

wow, thanks. I've seen pic of that pioneer elsewhere with top lid off. Not much room though vertical-wise...then that tray.. mandates exact position..I'm interested cause frankly I want to do the same

regards
TeguhPS

Hide this!Advertise here!