toploader conversion & chassis project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all - I'm thinking of rebuilding my transport - a Pioneer dv656a (fully modded by the excellent Dan Wright of Modwright fame), converting it to a toploader (possibly remounting/suspending the mech itself on some kind of subchassis) and making a really nice non resonant main chassis (I'm thinking possibly a combination of copper and ebony with a perspex saucepan style lid...) - I have access to excellent cabinetmaking and metalworking/small scale engineering facilities, and I'm looking for any info/threads/postings that anyone has come across that may help me develop some working drawings without reinventing the wheel - any/all input greatly appreciated. M

hello all - I'm thinking of rebuilding my transport - a Pioneer dv656a (fully modded by the excellent Dan Wright of Modwright fame), converting it to a toploader (possibly remounting/suspending the mech itself on some kind of subchassis) and making a really nice non resonant main chassis (I'm thinking possibly a combination of copper and ebony with a perspex saucepan style lid...) - I have access to excellent cabinetmaking and metalworking/small scale engineering facilities, and I'm looking for any info/threads/postings that anyone has come across that may help me develop some working drawings without reinventing the wheel - any/all input greatly appreciated. M

Top loader as in the disc will enter the top vs sliding in the side but still be horizontal? I wouldn't change the axis of the machine because you may irritate different servo systems. Focus is vertical axis while sled motion is horizontal and while the tracking servo is also horizontal, it is 90 degrees rotated from the sled motion. IOW you have things operating in all 3 dimensions and they may not be 'happy' if you change the orientation.

Top loader as in the disc will enter the top vs sliding in the side but still be horizontal? I wouldn't change the axis of the machine because you may irritate different servo systems. Focus is vertical axis while sled motion is horizontal and while the tracking servo is also horizontal, it is 90 degrees rotated from the sled motion. IOW you have things operating in all 3 dimensions and they may not be 'happy' if you change the orientation.

I wouldn't be too concerned about anti-resonant mount unless you expect to be vibrating it pretty hard. As long as the servos and PLLs remain locked, it shouldn't affect playback. Once the data is in the descrambling RAM you're pretty safe.

thanks for your reply
Orientation would remain the same - i wish to dispense with the tray loader & associated plastic crud and place the disc in directly from above - i am absolutely concerned about anti resonant mounts: the difference a home made air suspended shelf made (kind of DIY townsend seismic sink) was astonishing - my intention is to overengineer every element of the chassis to reduce vibration as much as possible - surely someone must have done something similar and posted the results somewhere...

Excellent project - I particularly like the wooden "plinth" idea - you appear to have dispensed with the CD puck altogether, which I don't think will work with the Pioneer mech - luckily a have several spare unmodded machines, one of with I am going to start experimenting with this weekend

Thanks, the reason of separate puck is that the original tray was total loss (puck & spindle table are from old blaupunkt car CDP cartridge by the way..)
you know, I still have some ideas but those are not applicable with original casing.
Maybe for next project with new diy casing :). I like the idea of Roxan's turntable - heavy plates suspended by rubber band. In our case maybe a thick plate of aluminum or natural soft stone..who knows...

can you please post some photo's of your pioneer mech?

thanks
TeguhPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.