advice needed (regarding MARANTZ CD65)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I am reading this forum allot lately. and I need some advice...
I am currently using NAD5425 CD as my CD player. I want to upgrade. I was offered a MARANTZ CD65 at about 40 British pounds. I can afford it, but I have no idea if the upgrade is that noticeable (I have no experience, at all, with MARANTZ devices).

I did read allot of good things about this player, and I really love my NAD.

Questions are:
1) Is it a worthy upgrade (I'm all for modding...)
2) Is it a decent price (Player should be in a working condition...) ?

The Marantz CD65 is a nice enough player, but will only really shine if you modify it. The original CD65 is more or less the same as a Philips CD650 (see this massive thread), but if it is a CD65DX or CD65 Mk2 it will be a bit different, but still good.

GBP40 is a good price for one, I would buy it if offered it at that price. If your up for modifying it, it should easily beat your NAD. There's plenty of inspiration in that thread!

Hi guys,
I am reading this forum allot lately. and I need some advice...
I am currently using NAD5425 CD as my CD player. I want to upgrade. I was offered a MARANTZ CD65 at about 40 British pounds. I can afford it, but I have no idea if the upgrade is that noticeable (I have no experience, at all, with MARANTZ devices).

I did read allot of good things about this player, and I really love my NAD.

Questions are:
1) Is it a worthy upgrade (I'm all for modding...)
2) Is it a decent price (Player should be in a working condition...) ?

liquias
The Marantz CD65 sounds fabulous after proper modification, but it is a damn nightmare to keep working when the IDP connectors start to play up due to age.I eventually gave up on mine for that reason.

SandyK.

Insulation Displacement Connector. It's a connector type that has little knives that cut through the insulation and into the conductor of the wires they are fixed to. The wires they are used with are brittle, and can snap with age at the knives. It can be a problem with Philips players of this vintage, but it is easily fixed. I recently hadthis same problem with a Philips CD150.

Insulation Displacement Connector. It's a connector type that has little knives that cut through the insulation and into the conductor of the wires they are fixed to. The wires they are used with are brittle, and can snap with age at the knives. It can be a problem with Philips players of this vintage, but it is easily fixed. I recently hadthis same problem with a Philips CD150.

amc184
I had quite a few go high resistance, and pulled quite a few apart and cleaned the sockets too with Isopropyl alcohol. However they eventually started playing up again, and I ended up soldering many of them in . However, I would fix one and a different one would start to play up .
Let's face it, it is a pretty old CD player.

SandyK

Hmm, thanks.
Right now (before seeing any of these connectors...) I'm thinking why not solder the whole mess up ? I've had some problems with such connectors in the past (Not audio related) and permanently connecting the wires seemed to solve the problems. It may be VERY inconvenient at times though...

Anyway, I want to thank both of you, I appreciate your info. As I said I have zero experience with MARANTZ devices, any info/warnings anyone has to offer are welcome. :)

Hmm, thanks.
Right now (before seeing any of these connectors...) I'm thinking why not solder the whole mess up ? I've had some problems with such connectors in the past (Not audio related) and permanently connecting the wires seemed to solve the problems. It may be VERY inconvenient at times though...

Anyway, I want to thank both of you, I appreciate your info. As I said I have zero experience with MARANTZ devices, any info/warnings anyone has to offer are welcome. :)

Liquias
If you are hell bent on doing this, then for starters, replace all the DAC ladder capacitors with decent through hole types. Many of those ceramic caps in mine weren't even within 10% tolerance of the correct value.
Fit another couple of voltage regulators too. Also, the opamp power is supplied via series resistors.Without too much trouble, and scratching a little copper, you can replace the resistors with 78L15 and 79L15. This gives a marked improvement.
SandyK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.