I2S digital output in Marantz CD4000 and four TDA1541A with balance analog output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2003, 08:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I2S digital output in Marantz CD4000 and four TDA1541A with balance analog output

Q#1: Does anyone know if the VAM1201 cd mechanisam (Short Loader Mk3 module) as in Marantz CD4000 cd player and Philips CD713/723, has I2S digital audio output or not for sure?
Q#2: Is it possible to build a dual differential nonoversampling fiterless DAC with two or more TDA1541As per channel, and if not, how to build balance output stage (passive or active I/V conversion) for nonos DAC? Shematics will be much appreciated!
Thank you all in advance.
Ivo
Old 7th July 2003, 01:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi iklari14

yes. the short loader mk3 has i2s output. better still, it's jumper configurable to 1xfs, 2xfs and so on.

read about it here.
http://www.daisy-laser.com/shortloader.htm

one of the pdf files there shows you where to tap the i2s signal. if you are lazy, you can tap from the dac board. the i2s signal goes to tda1545.

i have tapped the i2s in my cd63 and put in a tda1543. good luck!

DonJuan
Old 7th July 2003, 07:00 AM   #3
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Balanced DAC

Hi Ivo,
Please see this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...400#post142400
Old 7th July 2003, 09:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi DonJuan and Elso,
Thank you both for quick reply, I am going to buy a Marantz CD4000 now (champagne edition of course, don't worry). Considering the threads suggested, they are way too techical for me, because my knowledge of electronics is fairly limited. Implementation (read complete project, shematics, pcbs, etc.) of someones artwork, talent and philosophy is the only way for me and many others, I guess!
So, here is my e-mail ivo.klaric@st.htnet.hr if someone is able to help me in more direct and comprehensive way.
Regards, Ivo
Old 8th July 2003, 01:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

cd4000?

here's a link where you can modify your cd4000.
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/project.cd2.html

the philips cd723 is same as marantz cd4000.

DonJuan
Old 8th July 2003, 02:47 AM   #6
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: I2S digital output in Marantz CD4000 and four TDA1541A with balance analog output

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by iklari14
Q#1: Does anyone know if the VAM1201 cd mechanisam (Short Loader Mk3 module) as in Marantz CD4000 cd player and Philips CD713/723, has I2S digital audio output or not for sure?
The mechanism as such does not has ANY output. It needs to be processed by the chipset (servo/decoder IC).

If the CD-Player (Marantz CD-4000 and MAYBE [not sure] 5000 plus Philips CD-713/23 et al) uses a DAC with no build in oversampling filter the servo/decoder chip is instructed by the control uP to perform 4 X Oversampling. The Output is still I2S, but at 4 X Fs, oversampled.

Unless the uP (SMD) is removed and replaced with onde differently (factory) programmed the I2S output stream from the chipset will allways be oversampled.

Quote:
Originally posted by iklari14
Q#2: Is it possible to build a dual differential nonoversampling fiterless DAC with two or more TDA1541As per channel,
Sure. Easily. Just design and build it.

Technically there are no hurdles, as long as you have a non-oversampled I2S or japanese format signal to tap off in the transport. And of course you can use as many TDA1541 per channel - dual differential as you can fit (with their individual 14pcs of capacitors) in the space available.

Sayonara
Old 8th July 2003, 06:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the CD-Player (Marantz CD-4000 and MAYBE [not sure] 5000 plus Philips CD-713/23 et al) uses a DAC with no build in oversampling filter the servo/decoder chip is instructed by the control uP to perform 4 X Oversampling. The Output is still I2S, but at 4 X Fs, oversampled.
really? if you download aslmk39901.pdf from daisy website, page 3 says

"since the short loader mk3 module does not include any d/a converter on board, you can use an external dac of your choice. all our applications allow to set the dac output format to one out of nine different values. but now, you can directly choose the format required for your dac by setting the pins p1.5, p1.6, p1.7 and p3.2 of the user microcontroller to +5v or ground, as specified in the table below (software does not have to be modified anymore!)"

then it goes to show that the table lists for i2s, 1xfs format, you have to set p3.2, p1.7, p1.6, p1.5 to ground.

btw, default mode is i2s 1xfs.

DonJuan
Old 8th July 2003, 08:21 AM   #8
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by DonJuan

really?
Does the Shortloader kit from Daisy use the SAME pcb and same uP as the CD 4000? I rather very much doubt it.

Sayonara
Old 8th July 2003, 10:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
[B]Konnichiwa,

Does the Shortloader kit from Daisy use the SAME pcb and same uP as the CD 4000? I rather very much doubt it.

Hi KYW and DonJuan,
I am really flattered because you jump in( I allways read yours threads with great attention), and hope you are wrong and DonJuan right (thank you DJ for pointing out the application note from Daisy). It seems that only Short Loader Mk3 have ability to let user to choose output format (I2S 1xFs I hear screams from crowd) without much fuss, while Short Loader Mk2 needs some programing involved (to complex). Anyway, we all have to wait for a few days until Marantz CD4000 arrive aren't we?
In the mean time any serviceable shematics for DAC will be much appreciate, thank you!
Ivo
Old 8th July 2003, 10:31 AM   #10
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Splitting i2s to two tda1541's, where each is one channel and has differential output can be found in an old post in this section.

Just skip the fifo part if you use a crystal receiver.

Not much progress from my side since, have little time lately...

Greetings,
GuidoB

Hide this!Advertise here!