Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for SDI to HDMI converter project

As a videographer I find the HD/SDI out on my professional camcorder (Sony PMW-EX1) to be very limiting. There are many more interfaces with HDMI than SDI.

The SDI to HDMI converters are very expensive so I searched for a DIY project and came up with nothing.

Does anyone know of or have such a project plan?

Thanks,

John
Old 14th September 2010, 04:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

HDMI chips contain HDCP encription with an unique serial. There are not sold to DIY people, because we are all pirates and we cannot be trusted with such devices...
Old 17th September 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that. I guess I'll buy a converter.

Thanks again,

John
Old 18th September 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post
As a videographer I find the HD/SDI out on my professional camcorder (Sony PMW-EX1) to be very limiting. There are many more interfaces with HDMI than SDI.

The SDI to HDMI converters are very expensive so I searched for a DIY project and came up with nothing.

Does anyone know of or have such a project plan?

Thanks,

John
Is there anything in particular you want to connect to ?
Old 18th September 2010, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Is there anything in particular you want to connect to ?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, an HD monitor with an HDMI input. My professional camera does not have HDMI out, only HD SDI out.

Thanks,

John
Old 19th September 2010, 04:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The HDMI specs mandates that a monitor must accept an unencrypted input to cater for DVI-D, DVI-D being, to all intents and purposes, HDMI without the audio. While it is quite possible to DIY such a converter, given the one off nature of the device, I do not think much will be saved.
Old 19th September 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
The HDMI specs mandates that a monitor must accept an unencrypted input to cater for DVI-D, DVI-D being, to all intents and purposes, HDMI without the audio. While it is quite possible to DIY such a converter, given the one off nature of the device, I do not think much will be saved.
Thanks you so much for the reply. I am beginning to realize that a converter may be well worth the purchase cost.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:40 AM   #8
johnYks is offline johnYks  Australia
diyAudio Member

Intel Confirms That HDCP Master Key is Cracked

Intel Confirms That HDCP Master Key is Cracked
2:50 PM - September 18, 2010 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US

The high-def digital media has been freed, for better or worse.

HDCP doesn't have to be a hindrance anymore.HDCP doesn't have to be a hindrance anymore.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, which is more commonly known abbreviated as HDCP, has been confirmed by Intel as cracked.

HDCP, which is the DRM scheme for HD hardware such as HDTV, cable boxes and Blu-ray Disc players is exposed and wide open for those who wish to bypass it. More specifically, the master key that is used for encryption is floating around on the internet freely for anyone who wishes to make use of it.

"We can use it to generate valid device keys that do interoperate with the (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) protocol," Intel spokesman Tom Waldrop told Cnet.

"What we have confirmed through testing is that you can derive keys for devices from this published material that do work with the keys produced by our security technology," he told FoxNews.

Intel doesn't seem too stressed over the defeat of HDCP, however, as the current scheme still stands to be an inconvenience to all those other than the most dedicated.

"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip," he added. "As a practical matter, that's a difficult and costly thing to do."

Hide this!Advertise here!