ONKYO TECHNICS CD players repair help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I got from a friend two old CD players with similar symptoms:

1) Both players were supposed to get 110Vac and got 220Vac supply.
2) Both players blew their primary winding in the transformer. (naturally).
3) Both player have no fuse, not even inside the transformers. (What? What is this, Who make a machine with no fuse ?).

I'm quite at a loss here, I have no idea how to determine the secondary voltages needed out of these transformers.

CD players are :
1) ONKYO DX-2700
2) TECHNICS SL-PD627 (5 CD carousel).

My questions are :
1) Does anyone know what secondary voltages, and volt-ampere rating any of these ex-traffos used to be ?
2) Are these CD players worth the effort of salvaging ?

thanks ,
Liquias.

Oh, believe me, they don't.
One of them is welded tight, and the two of then are toast.
primary gone (open circuit) - very very black primary winding with many open ends, no fuse inside the winding - I checked...
Secondary looks fine.
But thanks anyway.

Both of them are multi voltage output transformers.
I guess I could fit a transformer into those machines, if I knew the voltages. I can tell by the caps and regulators the general ball park, but i'm hoping for some more accurate help.
Any idea is also very appreciated...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the thing has sat powered up on the wrong voltage there may be other damage, as all the secondaries will have been very high... which you won't know untill you power it all up.

Impossible to say without looking in great detail how it's all connected. There may be windings for the display etc as well as analogue and digital stages. You can work back from anything with a reg, just select an AC voltage that allows enough headroom for the regs to work after rectification/smoothing. Currents harder to guess, depends what feeds what.

Do the original trannies smell burnt ? Strange there is no fuse... it wouldn't pass safety tests without.
Post a picture maybe (a clear one:)) showing the pins on the transformers and the internal mains side of things on the players... I'm just puzzled.

If the thing has sat powered up on the wrong voltage there may be other damage, as all the secondaries will have been very high... which you won't know untill you power it all up.

Of course, electronics might just as well be fried. It looks OK but I have to admit that I haven't even started to check it.

Impossible to say without looking in great detail how it's all connected. There may be windings for the display etc as well as analogue and digital stages. You can work back from anything with a reg, just select an AC voltage that allows enough headroom for the regs to work after rectification/smoothing. Currents harder to guess, depends what feeds what.

That's my main loss. I am hoping for either someone who knows these players, or someone with a service manual...

Do the original trannies smell burnt ? Strange there is no fuse... it wouldn't pass safety tests without.
Post a picture maybe (a clear one:)) showing the pins on the transformers and the internal mains side of things on the players... I'm just puzzled.

Oh yes, the traffos smell burnt. I don't understand how two different and separate devices had no fuse.
Pictures to come, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm still not sure it's worth the effort, the onkyo is a VERY old CD player I'm not even sure I could get the laser pickup should I ever needed a spare, though It's supposed to be a good one, and I'm not very fond of 5 CD carousels (Technics).

What do you think ?

Sorry for the late replay...
I believe I'll be quoting Anatech's wife saying :
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Throw in YOUR time and effort. :)

I think I might be able to give these two a rest. (they're no Sherwood...) :D
I think I might ask around for people with service manual (the easy way...) but other than that CD players might be considered 'for spare parts'...

Pictures are out of the question, (unless for some reason you want to see the insides of these players).

Again, (as always),
THANK YOU !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.