Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 04:00 AM   #21
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator
 
anatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Georgetown, On
Hi rg12,
Yes, but I thought this might be of help to other members in a similar circumstance.

-Chris
__________________
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" my Wife
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 04:30 AM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I use winamp for mp3 and foobar2000 for FLAC files.
About the hardware, using my crappy build in sound card from my laptop
until the new external USB sound card i ordered will arrive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 05:30 AM   #23
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member
 
infinia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Californication
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg12 View Post
I use winamp for mp3 and foobar2000 for FLAC files.
About the hardware, using my crappy build in sound card from my laptop
until the new external USB sound card i ordered will arrive.
Yes , but too bad I'm late to your first query. When the new hardware arrives you will essentially be doing what I suggest anyway. I don't know how old your laptop is, but newer sound chips are not all crappy. Unless you are recording stuff most new inboard stuff is quite good. Go to device manager to find out what sound device you have. It don't cost nothin to try what I suggest from my experience. I use Winamp for everything incl. FLAC except video, and have found it gets corrupted over time. I have a brand new computer with builtin realtek HD audio, and find it gets bad sound after installing a bunch of new software and only gets corrected after a driver re-install.
It's similar to a fresh install of Win OS on an older HDD as a close analogy.
__________________
like four million tons of hydrogen exploding on the sun
like the whisper of the termites building castles in the dust

Last edited by infinia; 14th September 2010 at 05:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 11:53 PM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
Yes , but too bad I'm late to your first query. When the new hardware arrives you will essentially be doing what I suggest anyway. I don't know how old your laptop is, but newer sound chips are not all crappy. Unless you are recording stuff most new inboard stuff is quite good. Go to device manager to find out what sound device you have. It don't cost nothin to try what I suggest from my experience. I use Winamp for everything incl. FLAC except video, and have found it gets corrupted over time. I have a brand new computer with builtin realtek HD audio, and find it gets bad sound after installing a bunch of new software and only gets corrected after a driver re-install.
It's similar to a fresh install of Win OS on an older HDD as a close analogy.
My laptop is about a year and a half old, it's an HP 550.

My sound card drivers are up to date.

Good to know that winamp can play FLAC, i just downloaded a plugin
that makes it possible for winamp.

Do you know why in some files in winamp the kbps runs up and down
during the song?

What gets corrupted exactly? i didn't understand that...
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 03:30 PM   #25
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member
 
infinia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Californication
Quote:
My laptop is about a year and a half old, it's an HP 550.

My sound card drivers are up to date.

I have used 3 soundchip drivers, win 7 default, HP, and/or Realtek? some work better for different applications.

Quote:
Good to know that winamp can play FLAC, i just downloaded a plugin
that makes it possible for winamp.

Do you know why in some files in winamp the kbps runs up and down
during the song?

VBR , variable bit rate
it's a more efficient way to encode audio than CBR .

Quote:
What gets corrupted exactly? i didn't understand that...
My guess is the device registry is changed by other software installs. Rather than investigating and editing them back, it's easier just to re-install the Winamp version u like to use, on top.
__________________
like four million tons of hydrogen exploding on the sun
like the whisper of the termites building castles in the dust
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 03:36 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Great, thanks for the info.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which sound card has an SPDIF output comparable to an expensive CD Player? momitko Digital Line Level 68 31st May 2011 01:52 AM
Convert sound card to external DAC Zdman Digital Line Level 0 17th November 2008 02:01 PM
Wanted: Leftover DAC from an upgraded CD player, or CD player with broken transport. Spasticteapot Swap Meet 0 7th October 2006 08:12 PM
DAC/ Sound card argonrepublic Digital Source 0 11th July 2005 03:39 AM
Cheap HQ portable CD player w/SPDIF out (to match with iRiver)? Jason Digital Source 0 25th April 2004 01:08 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2