Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2003, 07:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AD1865N-K dac Project

According to Analog Devices these AD1865N-K are 16 bits mono DAC's.

Has someone tackled this project before?

I can't find a Data Sheet nor in AD site or on the web...

Anyone with a Data Sheet for these?

Seems a very atractive project but
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad1865 005.jpg (45.0 KB, 4074 views)
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

They are stereo 18 bit DAC chips. It is the best version of the AD1865, just like Burr Brown has the K versions of their DAC chips.

I once mailed AD that they advertised it as mono 16 bit but they didn't change the documentation nor the details on their website. I did get a mail with in which they thanked me for mentioning the error. It is not so strange that very few manufacturers use this chip. IIRC it is not even mentioned in the datasheet as well. It is still in production so I guess somebody is buying them, or it should be the samples that make the mill run

Strange marketing techniques for a commercial company !
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I have a serious problem with spam when posting. So here again with the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad1865 005.jpg (75.4 KB, 3821 views)
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:16 PM   #4

What does the spam do ? Do you get a lot of mail while posting or something like that ?

Or is it those d*** pop ups ? If so consider downloading Mozilla ( www.mozilla.org ). It has a built in possibility of blocking pop ups. When you're downloading you might as well download Ad-aware ( www.lavasoftusa.com ) for detecting spyware or other bandwidth eating malware like Bonzi Buddy, Gator etc. on your machine.
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:23 PM   #5
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default Ad1865n-k

Hi Tony, What is exactly the problem?
The AD1865 is mentioned here as a 18 it dual DAC:
http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/pr...1865%2C00.html
The minor problem is that the K-version is not mentioned in the datsheet. The K-version is the best sounding in my experience.
datasheet downloadable by clicking on datasheets in the above link.
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:25 PM   #6

There were references on the website stating that the K version is mono 16 bit. I saw this too some time ago. Maybe they corrected some errors, nevertheless it is still not mentioned in the datasheet which is impractical and clumsy seen from a commercial point of view.
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
What does the spam do ? Do you get a lot of mail while posting or something like that ?

Thanks Jean Paul for the advise. They are pop-ups.

I will download the mozilla and see if I can get rid of them...
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's a nice link how to use that chip. I've got some of them too and was thinking about building a DAC using them.
http://www.geocities.com/yury_g/dac.htm
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:53 PM   #9

If you only need a lightweight browser ( no mailclient etc. ) with pop up killing possibilities you can try Mozilla Firebird:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/

In Mozilla you can find the blocking settings under Edit-Preferences-Privacy&Security-Pop Up Windows.

I have to tell you that there are some tools for pop up blocking for IE 6 too but I don't know their names nor did I try them. When i tried a free pop up blocker for IE once it infected my pc with Gator...

When problems/attacks are severe a firewall like Zonealarm might be a good advise. You will need some time for configuring it though.

Please try Ad-aware too, you'll be surprised how "contaminated" your pc is. At most of my friends pc's I find an average of 150 spyware/malware items. Finding and deleting them speeds up the pc and the connection with the web.
Old 3rd July 2003, 07:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
There were references on the website stating that the K version is mono 16 bit. I saw this too some time ago. Maybe they corrected some errors, nevertheless it is still not mentioned in the datasheet which is impractical and clumsy seen from a commercial point of view.

Elso,

Exactly what Jean Paul says is my problem, I have the data sheet but they dont mention the K. Plus all the information on the AD site for the K is that they are 16 bit mono dac's. These are samples, and on the packing list they mention the same!!! "IC, mono 16 bit audio". Go figure...

So, as a conclusion, they are 18 bit stereo units with the same pin out as on the 1865 data sheet.

You posted some time ago that you built a 1865 with K designation but that you really were using a TDA1543 IIRC. Is the 1865 no good?

Hide this!Advertise here!