AD1865N-K dac Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to Analog Devices these AD1865N-K are 16 bits mono DAC's.

Has someone tackled this project before?

I can't find a Data Sheet nor in AD site or on the web...

Anyone with a Data Sheet for these?

Seems a very atractive project but :scratch:

Attachments

• ad1865 005.jpg
    ad1865 005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,266
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They are stereo 18 bit DAC chips. It is the best version of the AD1865, just like Burr Brown has the K versions of their DAC chips.

I once mailed AD that they advertised it as mono 16 bit but they didn't change the documentation nor the details on their website. I did get a mail with in which they thanked me for mentioning the error. It is not so strange that very few manufacturers use this chip. IIRC it is not even mentioned in the datasheet as well. It is still in production so I guess somebody is buying them, or it should be the samples that make the mill run ;)

Strange marketing techniques for a commercial company !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What does the spam do ? Do you get a lot of mail while posting or something like that ?

Or is it those d*** pop ups ? If so consider downloading Mozilla ( www.mozilla.org ). It has a built in possibility of blocking pop ups. When you're downloading you might as well download Ad-aware ( www.lavasoftusa.com ) for detecting spyware or other bandwidth eating malware like Bonzi Buddy, Gator etc. on your machine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There were references on the website stating that the K version is mono 16 bit. I saw this too some time ago. Maybe they corrected some errors, nevertheless it is still not mentioned in the datasheet which is impractical and clumsy seen from a commercial point of view.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you only need a lightweight browser ( no mailclient etc. ) with pop up killing possibilities you can try Mozilla Firebird:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/

In Mozilla you can find the blocking settings under Edit-Preferences-Privacy&Security-Pop Up Windows.

I have to tell you that there are some tools for pop up blocking for IE 6 too but I don't know their names nor did I try them. When i tried a free pop up blocker for IE once it infected my pc with Gator...

When problems/attacks are severe a firewall like Zonealarm might be a good advise. You will need some time for configuring it though.

Please try Ad-aware too, you'll be surprised how "contaminated" your pc is. At most of my friends pc's I find an average of 150 spyware/malware items. Finding and deleting them speeds up the pc and the connection with the web.

jean-paul said:
There were references on the website stating that the K version is mono 16 bit. I saw this too some time ago. Maybe they corrected some errors, nevertheless it is still not mentioned in the datasheet which is impractical and clumsy seen from a commercial point of view.

Elso,

Exactly what Jean Paul says is my problem, I have the data sheet but they dont mention the K. Plus all the information on the AD site for the K is that they are 16 bit mono dac's. These are samples, and on the packing list they mention the same!!! "IC, mono 16 bit audio". Go figure...

So, as a conclusion, they are 18 bit stereo units with the same pin out as on the 1865 data sheet.

You posted some time ago that you built a 1865 with K designation but that you really were using a TDA1543 IIRC. Is the 1865 no good?

jean-paul said:
If you only need a lightweight browser ( no mailclient etc. ) with pop up killing possibilities you can try Mozilla Firebird:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/

In Mozilla you can find the blocking settings under Edit-Preferences-Privacy&Security-Pop Up Windows.

I have to tell you that there are some tools for pop up blocking for IE 6 too but I don't know their names nor did I try them. When i tried a free pop up blocker for IE once it infected my pc with Gator...

When problems/attacks are severe a firewall like Zonealarm might be a good advise. You will need some time for configuring it though.

Please try Ad-aware too, you'll be surprised how "contaminated" your pc is. At most of my friends pc's I find an average of 150 spyware/malware items. Finding and deleting them speeds up the pc and the connection with the web.

Uuuuuff Jean Paul, you know the business...

I will try all those tricks you mention since I'm fed up with all the crap....
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Thanks again :nod: :nod: :nod:

Peter Daniel said:
Here's a nice link how to use that chip. I've got some of them too and was thinking about building a DAC using them.
http://www.geocities.com/yury_g/dac.htm

Peter,

I have been in touch with Yury and he is about to fire up his Dac in about a week or two. He did a P2P job!!!

I think Yury is not a member of diyAudio so I have invited him to have a look at the forum.

Good you have some chips, we might be able to teem up for this one, if we decide to go ahead.

I guess Elso and Yury can give us a hand and also tell us if the effort is wothwhile.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Since I don't know Hotbar I googled for it but it seems that there are a lot of programs with that name.

What Hotbar do you mean ?

BTW I forgot to mention that there is a very good enhancement for IE. I use it for quite some time now and I discovered tonight ( while I was searching for a solution for your trouble ) that it has pop up blocking facilities ! Never bothered to go in that deep because I have a hardware solution for protecting my pc for the evil things on the web.

FYI I read last week that 55 % of the web traffic is spam nowadays. Boy oh boy !

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

It is free. Still try Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird, there is no substitute for Open Source projects...

jean-paul said:
Since I don't know Hotbar I googled for it but it seems that there are a lot of programs with that name.

What Hotbar do you mean ?

BTW I forgot to mention that there is a very good enhancement for IE. I use it for quite some time now and I discovered tonight ( while I was searching for a solution for your trouble ) that it has pop up blocking facilities ! Never bothered to go in that deep because I have a hardware solution for protecting my pc for the evil things on the web.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

It is free. Still try Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird, there is no substitute for Open Source projects...

Well, still more soutions to this problem, I guess other members will also profit from your help.

The Hotbar i'm reffering to is the one that sists beneeth the Google seach bar that I added about a year or so ago. This one brings similar buttons with items related to your seach with google.

AD1865N-K:

BTW Jean Paul, won't you like to join on a project with this chip?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Isn't the Hotbar listed in Settings-Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs ? ( which is the only right way to deinstall most programs BTW ).

Mmm, a project with AD1865N-K. I have 2 of them and designing a PCB is not that hard for them but I am struck by the TDA virus for many years now.

Although they might be very good I think ( assume ) that TDA 1541 is better and it happens that I have some of those too. I am obviously influenced by Elso who said many times that even TDA1543 in non os mode sounds better than AD1865N-K.

I'll think about it. There must be a good reason for Audio Note to use the AD1865N, isn't it ?

jean-paul said:

Mmm, a project with AD1865N-K. I have 2 of them and designing a PCB is not that hard for them but I am struck by the TDA virus for many years now.

I'll think about it. There must be a good reason for Audio Note to use the AD1865N, isn't it ?

I know, and I also love my TDA1541 but it seems that this chip has the potential to become a good contender given some adequate implemantation.

Coming back to Hotbar, yes I do have it on the remove program, so it will be easy to get rid of it.
BTW, I took delivery of the Avant Browser but have not installed it yet. I will let you know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.