External clock to CD-PRO2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2003, 04:55 PM   #1
kenev is offline kenev  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default External clock to CD-PRO2

Has anyone replaced the onboard oscillator of the CD-PRO2 unit with an external low jitter clock?
I have searched the forum but didn' t manage to find something about this. There was a post somewhere regarding this issue, but things were not clear.
Reading the manual of the CD-PRO2 I find that there is a connector with the designation "16 MHz (optional)", but, as far as I understand this, ths is for providing the internal 16 MHz clock to an external unit.
I' m interested in building a KWAK-CLOCK and feeding my unit with it.
What I' m asking is where should I connect the clock (and from where should I disconnect the onboard clock). Has anybody some kind of experience with such a modification?

Evangelos
Old 6th July 2003, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: External clock to CD-PRO2

Quote:
Originally posted by kenev
Has anyone replaced the onboard oscillator of the CD-PRO2 unit with an external low jitter clock?
I have searched the forum but didn' t manage to find something about this. There was a post somewhere regarding this issue, but things were not clear.
Reading the manual of the CD-PRO2 I find that there is a connector with the designation "16 MHz (optional)", but, as far as I understand this, ths is for providing the internal 16 MHz clock to an external unit.
I' m interested in building a KWAK-CLOCK and feeding my unit with it.
What I' m asking is where should I connect the clock (and from where should I disconnect the onboard clock). Has anybody some kind of experience with such a modification?

Evangelos
Hi

If you have a circuit diagram, I could be of help

Most logical you feed the new clock to the input of the original crystal oscillator (after removing the crystal ofcourse)

By the way, my most recent measurements on a Kwak clock showed horrible results.

best regards

Guido
Old 6th July 2003, 04:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's some info I found in CD-Pro documentation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cl.jpg (77.6 KB, 3070 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th July 2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Smile New clock in CD-PRO

Hi Evangelos,
You almost answered your own question.
Just remove the original crystal and the two small caps as in the picture kindly provided by Peter.
You now have to connect the output of the KWAK-CLOCK to one of the pads of the original crystal connected to CRIN.
If you can not determine from the schematic wich pad is connected to CRIN just try both pads, one at a time, with a 1k resistor in series wth the clock-output. Keep the pad that works and remove the 1k resistor.
I hope to visit your beautiful country soon.....
Old 6th July 2003, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've made that modification. I don't remember what pin is the right one but this is critical. One of my SAA7324 died in this experiment so take care, the chip is very sensitive.
My Philips dealer said it cannot provide this chip even if I wanted 1000 pcs.
I will look and tell you about the real clock input.
Old 6th July 2003, 10:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Re: External clock to CD-PRO2

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent

Hi

If you have a circuit diagram, I could be of help

Most logical you feed the new clock to the input of the original crystal oscillator (after removing the crystal ofcourse)

By the way, my most recent measurements on a Kwak clock showed horrible results.

best regards

Guido

Hi Guido, horrible in what sense ? Jitter, waveform ? I heard/read quite some good responses on Elso's clock.
Old 6th July 2003, 10:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So did you complete the modification or the loss of a chip made your unit useless?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th July 2003, 10:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I completed the modification on other units. Of course the one with dead SAA it's useless until the chip is replaced.
Old 6th July 2003, 10:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What clock frequency did you use? From info I posted it seems like at least 3 different frequencies are possible.
Old 6th July 2003, 10:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I used 8.4672 MHz external clock - ECL type with discrete buffer.

Hide this!Advertise here!