Nakamichi OMS-7/Kyocera DA-910 intermitent output. any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just picked up a very clean Kyocera DA-910 , which is basically a Nakamichi OMS-7 in a fancy case. Some p/s upgrades , but same dac board; dual TDA-1540's. Also a similiar , but potted , output circuit. I changed the belt on the transport and it seems to read most of my cd's very well; just some problems with the rough ones. About a half hour of being proud of myself for fixing it so easily , the right channel became distorted and eventually muted. Since I have another dac board from an OMS-5 , I swapped it out. Played fine for 15 minutes , then the same issue. My guess is the output board is the problem , but it seems to work again if I unplug the power to it , with cd playing , and reconnect it. But only for a short time. Anyone familiar with these(Nak/Kyo)?

Sadly, you have the classic symptom of a failure within that sealed output module. On the Nak OMS-7, this is a repairable circuit, but the DA-910 has the whole thing potted in epoxy or tar(can't recall which). Your only option is to either build a new output stage of some design, or replicate/steal the output stage of an OMS-7. If the potting material is tar or something else not too high temp, you might be able to bake it out, but I've never tried that on one of those.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.